Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

I finally have an appointment with a lawyer

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 10:48 AM
  • 6 Replies

I am scared but I know this five year of paying games has to stop. He told me straight out If we kept it out of court I have all control but in his mind that means he would try to control me and play games and try to get everything he wants by manipulating me. Well, I am done. I am going through the legal system. I have to protect myself and my daughter.  He was pissed I went for child support well I would of had to when I went on assitance for two years during the time I was in school, that was not all me. 

Well, anyone have any advice? Never dealt with lawyers before or the courts. 

by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 10:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
booscomputer
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Lawyers don't care about all of the emotions -- try to have a list of what your monthly expenses have been since you had your daughter, if you have a copy of a direct deposit or have bank statements showing what is/was in your joint accounts, how much your ex gets paid, if he blew money on nonsense leaving the family hurting for cash, etc.  Don't get into all of the emotional stuff because the judge doesn't care about it either.  Just the facts, ma'am is the mantra.  

Flylady14
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 7:25 PM

There is no joint account. I was never married  to him. I never even lived with him. Haven't lived in the same state since she was born. 

Quoting booscomputer:

Lawyers don't care about all of the emotions -- try to have a list of what your monthly expenses have been since you had your daughter, if you have a copy of a direct deposit or have bank statements showing what is/was in your joint accounts, how much your ex gets paid, if he blew money on nonsense leaving the family hurting for cash, etc.  Don't get into all of the emotional stuff because the judge doesn't care about it either.  Just the facts, ma'am is the mantra.  

readyforhim
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 7:53 AM

Be very honest and get a lawyer that provides you with solutions and will always communicate with you.

document everything by date so you always have notes.

Flylady14
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 8:34 AM

I am putting it on hold until the end of August. I want to enjoy the rest of the summer. Yes. I am trying t o think of dates but hard because it has been 5 yrs. 

Quoting readyforhim:

Be very honest and get a lawyer that provides you with solutions and will always communicate with you.

document everything by date so you always have notes.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jul. 27, 2014 at 10:38 AM
Go into the attorney with facts and stuff to back your concerns they will appreciate you being organized and not just playing the blame game
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
belindah
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Document everything.  Every contact made, keep all texts messages and voicemail.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN