Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my children's father is seeking full custody... long but advice needed please

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:56 PM
  • 22 Replies
My children's father and I broke up in october 2012. He kicked us out of our house we were living in together and told me to go back to my mothers. Turns out he was cheating. I lived at my parents until February 2013 he saw the kids maybe 2 days a week. I made a decision to move back into the residence we were living in together so he would maybe help me more with the kids and i still had hope we would get back together. we were together for 6 1/2 years. I wanted our family back. He moved out of the residence into his at the time girlfriend's apartment. I got a job and his parents helped me with the kids while i worked. He broke up with that girlfriend because she got pregnant and he wanted her to get an abortion and she wouldn't. He then met somebody else and asked me to leave the house so he can move back in with her. I was seeing somebody else at that point and I moved into his place since it was short notice and I had no where else to go. this was the end of sept. 2013. Best decision for me and my children. We've been living here ever since. My ex and I have been equally caring for our children ever since. He didnt meet his baby with his ex until the baby was 6 months old. He now is married to the woman he met after his ex and has another baby on the way. I got served papers on sunday from his lawyer asking for full custody and child support. He pays the girl child support for the baby and is planning on quitting his job in oct to stay home with all 4 children. I work as a waitress and can't afford a lawyer. I've been trying to find legal help but no success. I just needed to know what I should do or if anyone has been through this before. I was a stay at home work since the day my first child was born until we broke up. I love my children and I am so scared that I'm going to lose them. I live in charlotte, nc. Thank you in advance

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
faerie75
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:04 PM
They aren't going to give him full custody just because he is staying home. And it should be patently obvious to the courts he is doing this to bankroll his "plans".
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Your post is nothing but jabbering words.  I don't see anything in your post about your ex seeking full-custody.  Please explain further.

vina_ch
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:35 PM
I'm not real sure how much further I can explain. He served me papers asking for full custody and child support.

Quoting Anonymous:

Your post is nothing but jabbering words.  I don't see anything in your post about your ex seeking full-custody.  Please explain further.

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:36 PM
2 moms liked this
Wow. Try rereading.

Quoting Anonymous:

vina_ch
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:37 PM
Thanks for replying. I'm just nervous because he has a lawyer and I don't and I'm having trouble finding one that will work with me since I definitely can't afford to pay in full.

Quoting faerie75: They aren't going to give him full custody just because he is staying home. And it should be patently obvious to the courts he is doing this to bankroll his "plans".
krisnkids
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:38 PM
In most cases there has to be a change of circumstances in the child's life for there to be a significant change in custody. Just because the child's sperm donor wants to stay home and play daddy that is not a change in a child's life.
vina_ch
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:58 PM
Thank you that's good to know. A friend of my mothers who has kind of been in a similar situation told me that it looks good on him since he is married and has another child on the way with his wife. I on the other hand am not married nor pregnant.

Quoting krisnkids: In most cases there has to be a change of circumstances in the child's life for there to be a significant change in custody. Just because the child's sperm donor wants to stay home and play daddy that is not a change in a child's life.
faerie75
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this

its just like they dont take shared custody away from a dad just because mom married a guy that allowed her to sahm in cases where they had shared.

its also laughable that he is trying to get you to pay support when you have a low paying job, what a tool. sorry :(

Quoting vina_ch: Thanks for replying. I'm just nervous because he has a lawyer and I don't and I'm having trouble finding one that will work with me since I definitely can't afford to pay in full.
Quoting faerie75: They aren't going to give him full custody just because he is staying home. And it should be patently obvious to the courts he is doing this to bankroll his "plans".

Miss_Magnolia.
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:49 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting vina_ch: Thank you that's good to know. A friend of my mothers who has kind of been in a similar situation told me that it looks good on him since he is married and has another child on the way with his wife. I on the other hand am not married nor pregnant.
Quoting krisnkids: In most cases there has to be a change of circumstances in the child's life for there to be a significant change in custody. Just because the child's sperm donor wants to stay home and play daddy that is not a change in a child's life.

he has three baby mommas. I think it "looks better" that your not irresponsible and have so many kids with so many people. He's wasting his time.

CaBeachMom
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:55 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow, rude. I read it and it was very clear what is going on in her life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)