Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New here

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:33 PM
  • 11 Replies

Hi ladies, I'm Cassandra, 21 years old and a mom to three, my kids are 2, 14 months and 2 months old. I filed for a divorce and have already left my husband. I had to call a friend to come get me and take me to my mom's, my mom is letting me stay with her while I get things figured out. I had to haul all my stuff and my kids to my mom's and did all this while he was at work, I went and took everything out of our bank account and have some money to live on but not much.

I'm going to be looking for a job and want to be the best mother I can be to my kids. My mom lives alone and has helped out a lot already simply by letting us live with her, it's not the biggest place and I want to get a place of my own soon as I don't want to have to depend on my mom. The thing is I don't drive and depend on getting around on the city bus or having a friend take me places so I don't know what I'm going to do, I guess living near a bus route is the best for me because I ride it every day already anyways and my mom only lives a block from a bus stop.

I don't know what I'm going to do about finding a job, I've never worked anywhere. Anyone have any advice for a single mom like me?

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Hope you have a good attorney to defend for you.  Just thinking you took the money out of the acccount is grounds for a spanking due to it's community property.  I would wait on finding a job til you get your ducks in a row with the divorce first.  Good luck

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:19 PM
Welcome to the group.

First I would sit down with your mom and see how much she can actually help. Can she watch the kids while you work? How long is she willing to let you stay etc.

Look into all available social assistance available. Housing. Food stamps. WIN. Childcare assistance etc.
bressmommy2012
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Thanks, I have a pretty good attorney helping me and don't need to worry about that. I'm just going to start looking for a job, I want to be able to provide for my kids on my own.

My mom has already told me that I can stay for as long as I need to stay and it won't be a problem. I told her I want to find a job and get back on track again, but will need a babysitter now. After that she told me that she would have no problem watching the kids if I find a job so I think we already have our grounds set.

I'm going on Monday to find out if I qualify for food stamps for the time being, if I get a job and they take my food stamps away from me oh well. So I'm already planning things but don't know where to go yet. My name is on the bank account too so that might not be as big of a problem, I dunno or care right now lol.

Thanks for the support.

ANewMe0812
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:56 PM
Is there a reason you don't drive?
toughmommy
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:03 PM
Yup!

Quoting krisnkids: Welcome to the group.

First I would sit down with your mom and see how much she can actually help. Can she watch the kids while you work? How long is she willing to let you stay etc.

Look into all available social assistance available. Housing. Food stamps. WIN. Childcare assistance etc.
bressmommy2012
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Just never got my license, I'm pretty nervous to drive.

Quoting ANewMe0812: Is there a reason you don't drive?

woodstock525
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 4:18 PM

At your age, you may want to contact your local community college and see about going to school to get some training for a career.  With no experience in anything and just a high school diploma, you'll have a hard time finding jobs; next to impossible finding something that pays decently.  Good luck.

cjsmom1
by Group Admin on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:42 AM

When you apply for welfare see what resources they have available to help you find a job

ayacocca
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:29 AM
So glad to hear that your mom is so supportive.
What state do you reside in?
LifeCafe42
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 10:30 AM
Welcome! I know you are nervous about driving you need to take the plunge and get your license even just for in case times
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)