Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

A change to Girls Night Out WWYD

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:00 PM
  • 7 Replies

A friend of mine recently posted to a bunch of us that she wanted to plan another Girls Night Out and Couples Night Out soon and wanted to know what dates were NOT good for us.

I gave her a few dates and politely declined being included in a Couples Night since I do not have a SO.  All the women, but one, in this particular group have husbands.  The other one has a live in boyfriend.  They are all great women, but I've only met them through Girls Night Out - I've never met their SOs (except my friend's husband and he's super nice).  I live in a different town and have been included in their GNO each month since January. and this is how I got to know the other women. 

2 weeks ago, my friend posted about an event this coming weekend, again tagging us girls in the post and I said, count me in.  She said they were thinking of making it an all day Girls Day including a mani/pedi & lunch but I told her I couldn't make it to that part b/c my kids have their summer award swim meet the better part of the a.m. & early afternoon.  I hadn't heard anymore details so I asked today if everyone was still in and she said yes and offered if I "wanted to ride with us, meet at our house."  I responded, is this GNO or couples, she replied, well guys are coming but it's not a couples thing.

WHAT?!  LOL  What else is it?  It's NOT that I can't hang out with a bunch of couples but I don't know, it just feels strange that I will be the only single/alone person in the group.

WWYD?  Would you still go or just skip it this time around....I told her I would think about it and let her know.  I'm torn because part of me says what the heck, it will be fun no matter what, but then that little 'low on self esteem these days' part of me says yeah, I'll be the loser that's not holding someone's hand...lol

So, I am curious, what others would do.  Thanks!

ivf blessed
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
ANewMe0812
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:01 PM
I don't think I would go unless I knew everyone that was going.
Callaly
by Jessica on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:07 PM
I probably would go for a drink and then leave
ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:22 PM

I agree, if I could do that, I would...unfortunately, it's over an hour drive for me so I either commit to making a night of it or forget it. =0)

Quoting Callaly: I probably would go for a drink and then leave

ivf blessed
ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:23 PM

I'm inclined to do that - even though I have gotten to know all the women, I only know one of the guys....

thanks!

Quoting ANewMe0812: I don't think I would go unless I knew everyone that was going.

ivf blessed
toughmommy
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Could be fun even with the guys, bring an unaffiliated girl friend to fill the awkward. Maybe not always but I wouldn't avoid all the co-ed events, just make it unakward. :)
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:05 AM
Why not? I've noticed most couple things the boys go and do their thing the girls do theirs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 10:59 AM

True - I don't mind hanging out with couples but didn't know any of the SOs for this group...I am glad I decided not to go.  It was all couples and from the pictures they posted, it looked like they all had a great time, together.  If it had been a BBQ at someone's house, I would have attended but this looked like it turned into a Date Night.  Since I had to reach out to her, I'm guessing she forgot she invited me (I am over an hour away) and it turned into a Couples Night Out - something they had all agreed to plan together at some point anyway.

It's cool - my feelings weren't hurt and I'm glad they all had fun. 

Quoting LifeCafe42: Why not? I've noticed most couple things the boys go and do their thing the girls do theirs.

ivf blessed
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)