Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Kids sharing a bedroom

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:56 PM
  • 29 Replies
I have a 10 yr old dd and a 5 yr old ds. I am thinking about selling my house and renting a house or an apartment. As of right now (only been looking for 3 days) all I can find in my price range is 2 bedrooms.

Would you put your kids in one room or would you share a bedroom with one of the kids so the other one had his/her own?
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jlm2676
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:57 PM
Oh I should add, I do not have to move, but I would like a fresh start.
toughmommy
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:22 PM
Letting one kid stay in the same room with you and not the other feels like punishment to one and reward to the other. let them share a room it works just fine. Plus kids love bunks....Also what works give the kids each a room and use a hide away bed in the living room for you. I have a boy and a girl, I have contemplated this many times. I've also moved almost every year at the end of my lease. So I've tried several options. The two above are my favorite options, unless I can get a three bed.I have a three bed currently.
Callaly
by Jessica on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:47 PM
Normally im all for sharing but your DD is about to go through some serious hormonal changes and body changes and maybe her having her own.space will be better? Theres a little age gap. I know when i have another my DD who is currently 4 will probably need to share a room for a little while but not more then a year.
jlm2676
by Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 12:09 AM
That's my biggest fear. Dd is already developing and ds doesn't understand personal space yet. He still thinks what's hers or yours is his (working on that with him). They are all for getting bunk beds but I don't think dd will want to share a room with her baby brother for long.

Quoting Callaly: Normally im all for sharing but your DD is about to go through some serious hormonal changes and body changes and maybe her having her own.space will be better? Theres a little age gap. I know when i have another my DD who is currently 4 will probably need to share a room for a little while but not more then a year.
ladyvamp5489
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 12:11 AM

at those ages i wouldnt, shes too old to share a room with her brother

Oliviasmom72
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 12:38 AM

You have to do what you have to do though. I do not find it a big deal. If 2 bedroom is all you can afford then do it. If you can find one with a bigger bedroom maybe you can put a divider up.

Ridingsolo
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 5:15 AM
4 moms liked this
I'd sleep on the couch and and make sure each of my children had their own room.
krisnkids
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 7:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Why move if you don't have to? If you need a fresh start do some redecorating or something.
Nisha929
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 7:44 AM

It seems like you don't have to move but just want to so in doing that...why not give each of them a room and you sleep on the couch or something. No child wants to share a room with mom and your daughter is 10 so she really does need her own room. I wouldnt put them in the same room but that's just me.

wendythewriter
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 8:05 AM

How long would you be there? If it would only be for a year or so, I think it would probably be okay. 

But if you're looking at living there longterm, I think she really kind of needs her own space. 5 years is a big age gap,and she's going to go through a lot of changes that she'll need privacy for. If it's for longterm, I would either try to find a 3 beroom, or put them each in a bedroom and you sleep on the couch, a sleeper sofa if you can find one. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN