Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Why the F can't I take my kids camping?

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 10:48 PM
  • 19 Replies

So I am a single mom (surprise!) and I have no outside help. I don't have sitters on the weekend or anything, I do it all. No one helps during the week, either. Neither of their father's are involved, or their families etc. Anyway.. I live in OH and my father lives 15 minutes away from the beach in TX, where I grew up. I try to do week down there each year using income tax money but that got ruined this year. I get 3 weeks of vacation from my employer and I work a labor intensivve job. In Jan I sprained my MCL from an at home injury so I took my vacation pay from my August vacation early bc I was out of work for 2 weeks, I then used 1/4 of my income tax money on a summer class so I can get my associates (in 2 weeks!). So vacation is all jacked up. So I decided to take my kids camping, Lake Cumberland, KY is 2 hrs away so we were going to go on a friday, stay sat and sun night on the swimming beaches and on sunday on the way back to OH take a tour of one of the caves. 

I broke the news to my dad and his first response was "And your boyfriend is going with you, right? I mean, your not taking your kids camping by yourself?" My mother is also not supportive. I have been camping and fishing and gutting and cooking the fish pretty much my entire life. I can start a fire, maintain a fire, and pitch tent. I even have a 9 person, 2 bedroom tent, a blow up mattress, lanterns.. etc. I know how to survive and I take care of my kids all the time.

So why should there be a problem taking my kids camping? Anyone else have this issue when trying to do something ALONE with your kids?

by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 10:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 26, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Sounds like a vent.  No advice/answers to give.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Because there are assholes out there that see a single woman with 2 kids that can take advantage of that.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:26 AM

Your parents are probably just disappointed that they won't get to see you

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 7:48 AM
2 moms liked this
If I waited for approval for everything I have done on my own with 4 kids I would still be in California living in a 2 bedroom apartment. Go and have fun.
Flylady14
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes a lot. I just do it anyway. They are parents too and they worry. It is hard for parents not to worry even about adult children. Go and have a great time. 

mouthyhousewife
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 8:53 AM
Are you gonna go? Fuck what they say.
Miss_Magnolia.
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Go alone and love it. They're probably just upset they cannot see you this year.

make up an excuse about the kids not sleeping over with the boyfriend yet or something.

It sucks having no family to help. I have one family member in the area but she cannot take care of my kids well. I recently started paying my cousin to help. Idk why I didn't think of that sooner I'll have my associates in the spring! Congrats to you!!

mcknitro
by New Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:52 AM
That's exactly what her parents are thinking IMO too.

Quoting Anonymous:

Because there are assholes out there that see a single woman with 2 kids that can take advantage of that.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jul. 27, 2014 at 10:26 AM
Have a blast screw them you will be safe about boy or not
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hiker11
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 10:55 AM
I am an outdoorsy person myself and I get flack all the time about going hiking, camping, kayaking by myself or with my son. I have learned to ignore them. I make sure I am prepared in a case of emergency and go on my merry way. I refuse to live my life based on how other people want me to live.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN