Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Are You Doing it on Your Own?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 33 Replies
I couldn't figure out where to make a poll so I'll just ask. I'm curious how many mommies here are taking care of your children all on your own? I see a lot of posts talking about living with parents, getting state help, and child support. Of course all the more help you can get the better, not bashing those who have helping hands, just wondering who else is making it work all by ourselves.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsary
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 5:04 PM
Me completely. I have family some states away, but they help my sister with her kid cause they are in a domestic violence situation.
woodstock525
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 5:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I did that for awhile (I wasn't speaking with my parents for a number of reasons), but at the time I was on welfare for a while.  Once I got a full time job, I was doing fine (qualified for child care assistance that helped), however the first time something major happened (my car needed an expensive repair) I was screwed.  I ended up breaking down and calling my mom who bailed me out.  I wasn't happy about being the one to give in because she is soooo controlling, but I had no other choice.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Financially I do it all on my own. However, my ex is in the picture and helps watch ds when I work

Callaly
by Jessica on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:08 PM
I did it but i was giving an option of help from my mom so we helped eachother out. Now i live with SO and he helps.
IloveNCIS
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 12:15 PM

I was doing it on my own but now I have the help from my mom. Her and I decided to move in together about 2 years ago and it has been great. I really appreciate all the help I get from her.

wendythewriter
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 12:25 PM

We live with my parents, but it's just a roof over our heads. I do it all, we just share living space. They will babysit now and then if I ask/need it, but they're not actively "helping" with raising my kids. 

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Family wise: I have never lived near family so I have been on my own for many years, married or divorced.

Financial: My ex has paid child support faitfully except for one whole year. That was hell. I can see supporting one or two kids on your own. But to support 4 kids on my own is difficult. I did it, but there were no extras that year.

Boyfriend's assistance: I have beend dating my bf for 7 months, when we go out (with or without kids) 99% of the time he pays for everything. Occasionally I can slip in and pay a bill before he realizes it. We went on a blended family vacation together last month. He told me "you can pay me back over a long long time". Yeah, bf spoils me.

weeping_angel
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 12:31 PM
Financially yes. Well, I receive CS but pay the majority of expenses from my income. I do have family to help with babysitting and such. I receive no PA
faerie75
by Ruby Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 12:46 PM

well when i was single my parents were supportive and i did get a small amount of support but i was still doing at all by myself. i worked and had my own place.

Crys1981
by New Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 12:47 PM
1 mom liked this

While I give 10000% credit for moms who are also daddies, I am lucky to have a man who takes wonderful care of my boys. We are divorced because we can't be in a relationship. But we are each others best friends, for the sake of our boys. He doesn't pay child support because he takes care of them the way a father should. He goes above and beyond to support them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN