Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

WWYD.. Car situation

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 3:58 PM
  • 29 Replies

I need opinions.

Me and SO both have our own cars. My currently has a car payment on it and its ends next month. He currently has a 2000 Honda Civic, he has had it for 14 years lol We aren't the type to spend for no reason, both cars work.

Until now.. his car has a whole on the driver side to repair it will be minimum 350$. A few months ago he spent roughly 600$ on car repairs.. and now this, also by December we would need to buy new winter tires for it. So we are looking at a minimum of another 600$ to be spent, a total of 1200 in a year on a 14 year old car.

Would you do the repairs? Or just buy a new car? We wouldn't by brand new, we would probably get a 2010. My thing is that I will just be finishing paying off my car and to have another car payment right away would suck.

by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 3:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krisnkids
by Gold Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Get a new "used" car. A 14+ year old car is a money dump. Cut the losses and get something different.

Callaly
by Jessica on Aug. 4, 2014 at 4:12 PM

It was his first car so he has some attachement issues I think. Also I am not really happy that next month was my last car payment and I will need to start a new one right away again.

I know that we need to just get rid of it but its going to be a fight with him.

Quoting krisnkids:

Get a new "used" car. A 14+ year old car is a money dump. Cut the losses and get something different.

Oliviasmom72
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 5:27 PM

The car repairs exceed the value. When that happens its time to get rid of it and buy something gently used. I would wait until your car is paid off then start looking.

ANewMe0812
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 5:35 PM

$600 in future repairs that you know of. Who knows what else may go wrong if you do decide to go ahead and keep it and invest at least $600 in it. The good thing is that you won't miss the money you're spending now on a payment. Sure, you will go from one payment to the next and that isn't ideal but it's better than having two payments at one time. Guys grow attached to the oddest things but do your best to be sympathetic about it while you explain why it doesn't make sense financially to keep his car. Try to get him excited about car shopping.

idomatter
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Spend on getting the hole fixed. Re-assess his attachment issues when Winter gets here. $600 for tires on an old car is a much more major decision.

brieri
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 5:45 PM

As long the car is still drivable getting you from place A to Place B, it's not worth giving it up.  Where's the hole at on the driver's side?  Does it really need to be fixed at this time?  Get the new tires when it's time.  Saves you money.  Getting a used car doesn't make any sense when you are still going to have some issues that you may not even know about once it's driven off the lot.

Nisha929
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 6:25 PM

You'll spend more making payments. I say just fix it.  

MeeshMom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 8:20 PM
Save up the money for a good down payment for a newer used car.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Aug. 4, 2014 at 11:24 PM
I would fix it and see if there is a warranty on your tires if drive a lot and go through tires quick so they always prorate my new set. I'd evaluate how much needs to be done and the total for the next year. If it is less than a $300 payment/month if fix it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Callaly
by Jessica on Aug. 5, 2014 at 8:33 AM

If we would get new tires for his car it would be about that amount.. and then in the spring he would need to get all seasons as well, its a large amount for tires. Plus the hole, is starting to effect the seat. We have decided to get a 2nd opinion on fixing it, I told SO I will not spend more then 200$

Quoting idomatter:

Spend on getting the hole fixed. Re-assess his attachment issues when Winter gets here. $600 for tires on an old car is a much more major decision.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)