Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Losing weight

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:51 PM
  • 10 Replies

How do any of you find the time to exercise and lose weight my ex never takes my son anywhere. I run around with my son a lot at the park but it doesn't help sigh.

by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
idomatter
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 1:03 PM
3 moms liked this

I am a single mother of two boys, 8 and 4. Their dad takes them every other weekend, so I exercise on my lunch hour and after work. I'm a member of Gold's Gym, who offers child watch to members w/no add'l charge. I can just tell you that if you really want it, you'll find a way to do it. It's not easy. The workouts are brutal. You have to keep going back and sweating through it. And at my age, I don't even really "lose" weight. I just stay toned up and healthy looking!

A big part of losing weight is monitoring the type of carbs you eat. Refined sugar, bread, chips, cookies, pizza, potatoes, rice are all counter-productive to weight loss. Consumption of those types of carbs, combined with inactivity, puts fat on your body. I would not recommend a no carb diet, but switching your carb sources to fruits, vegetables, and limited whole grain choices will help quite a bit. When I want to remove the puff around my belly, that's the route I take.

ANewMe0812
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Walk up really early and pop in a workout DVD. Take your son for a long walk after dinner. Make sure you are eating well too.
mamalena137
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 1:33 PM

I'm just starting out really getting into improving my health. I'm trying to refine my diet, cutting down carbs, and salt. I take a fifteen minute walk at work on my break. My son has autism so it makes it a bit more challenging. I'm trying to fit in some exercise while he's outside and drags me out too.

trfgirl56701
by Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 1:50 PM

I started out by watching my carbs and walking around my neighborhood with my DS in a stroller. That stopped when summer started because it's too hot to walk in TX. I did start walking again when my in-laws got a treadmill. Next month I'll be able to start swimming for exercise.

MamaBernie
by Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Awkward thanks guys those are good ideas :)

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:00 AM
I exercise on my lunch hour
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by Gold Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:46 AM

I'm just starting to work on trying to lose weight. One important part is portion controll

Callaly
by Jessica on Aug. 12, 2014 at 10:20 AM

I look up ideas for healthy meals, I just watch what I eat, and like cjsmom1 said its all about portion control

Me and My SO started going to the gym near our house, we go 1 night during the week and the weekends. DD goes to her dads on weekends and during the week we pay a babysitter for the week night.

Frances0923
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 10:57 AM

My son is 9 and thankfully he is old enough and mature enough to stay home alone for 45 minutes while I run downstairs to the gym in our buidling. I go every other day for a 45 minute workout. And I also go on the weekends when he is with his father. On my weekends we both put on our Rollerblades and hit the board walk on the beach (we eat pizza afterwards, so I'm not sure if its considered a workout lmao).. All this because he is older! I couldn't do anything but the pizza part when he was younger Lol

rachel216
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 11:05 AM
I have my SO now but before I used a gym that had a daycare in it. it was pretty affordable. if you eat super healthy it will help too. my instructors at school do insanity work outs I've hear they really help if you commit!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)