Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

DENIED IN FOOD STAMPS

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:33 PM
  • 35 Replies
1 mom liked this
Now that im working ! I make too much money for food stamps !!! Im fucking pissed because they go by your gross and not by your net income ! And Im getting no help from the sperm donor!!!

I think its time I take my ass down to that child support office !!!

I swear being a single mom SUCKS !!!!!!!!!
by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Miss_Magnolia.
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:37 PM
2 moms liked this

WhenI read the title I was going to congratulate you.

you're becoming self sufficient. I love when I send my renewal application and I start receiving less. I can't wait to be off the program. I know right now it helps a lot though.

rachel216
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 1:11 PM
I know it's hard and it. does suck HOWEVER it isn't the end of everything. I would definitely fight for child support every parent should support their child!I know when I get my foot in the door and start my career I'll more then likely lose every government asstiance I get including my child care program.: ( I'm hoping I'll be able to afford everything
FLmom26
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Same here, but I do wish they would reduce the amount a little more gradually. My 1st reduction was a $200 drop. Major budget adjustment.

OP, while I do agree that they need to look at take home pay instead, try to take it as a complipent. They're saying you make enough money on your own to provide for your children. even without help from the father. Hang in there, and yes definitely go apply for the state to help with child support.

Quoting Miss_Magnolia.:

WhenI read the title I was going to congratulate you.

you're becoming self sufficient. I love when I send my renewal application and I start receiving less. I can't wait to be off the program. I know right now it helps a lot though.

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Are you still living with family? They are supposed to go by total wages of the household, you've been lucky to get them this long! :)

FLmom26
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 1:46 PM

Not sure about other states, but NC has the question of  do you cook and eat meals with other household members.Since ds and I shop, cook, and eat separatly about 90% of the time, I said no so they only counted my income.

Quoting krisnkids:

Are you still living with family? They are supposed to go by total wages of the household, you've been lucky to get them this long! :)

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Wow. That's great for you but I can only imagine if they do this in other states where there are multiple families living under one roof. They just go by what a person says. And we wonder why our system is flawed? Someone with a brain needs to do an overhaul on the social welfare system so it coincides with the reality of today rather than 50+ years ago.

Quoting FLmom26:

Not sure about other states, but NC has the question of  do you cook and eat meals with other household members.Since ds and I shop, cook, and eat separatly about 90% of the time, I said no so they only counted my income.

Quoting krisnkids:

Mygirl30248
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 2:01 PM
2 moms liked this

Yeah, I don't get any help statewise except subsidy which is a big help. Foodstamps personally I get childsupport I can swing things but I wish I could get health insurance, but I don't so I pay $55/month on Obamacare now. 

I get $15/month for foodstamps as a workers benefit. Only reason I get that is bc to get subsidy for childcare I have to qualify via the DHHS offices (don't get me started on that hassel, I have to go through two offices to make sure my subsidy is maintained & on track) so with that they know my income & I get the $15/month. I'll take it that's a loaf of bread, milk, eggs & possibly some fruit like 1lb of grapes. It's something I'm happy. 

But for those that just barely make the cut off I personally think to help give a boost they could allow say 3 months until your cut off maintaining your foodstamps so you can stock up. I was without a job in January for 3 weeks & got $300 for myself & DD who is only 6yo. It was way more then we needed for the 3 weeks w/o work but I stocked up mainly on meat to help get us through. We are just now finishing up that meat supply. 

So I think they should provid a bit more assistance & possibly tips on how to grocery shop etc (not that you OP don't know the good ol' common sense things but many don't know such things & need some help & when I was younger living in a homeless shelter helpful things like that would have been new information for me at that point in my life) if any of that makes sense. 

But yes get support paperwork filed your kid(s) need it & you need to be able to keep your head above water. Good lucky. 

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 4:01 PM
Yea it's pretty common knowledge they use gross for everything. THey use gross for NCP's who pay support as well.
superdivamom727
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 5:36 PM
NO THEY ONLY GOES BY THE PERSON WHO APPLIES HOUSEHOLD !!! Even though I live with family my household that im responsible for is my son and I !!! Yes I still help with bills now im paying $450 plus utilities ! No I don't have a car yet but I do drive my aunt 2013 expedition truck and its takes me 45min to get to work and thats $350+month in gas plus daycare expenses which $400/month plus food and cell phone bills plus things for my son and my cc bill !!! After every paycheck im have $0 . So I need help with food stamps or get help form sperm donor.

Quoting krisnkids:

Wow. That's great for you but I can only imagine if they do this in other states where there are multiple families living under one roof. They just go by what a person says. And we wonder why our system is flawed? Someone with a brain needs to do an overhaul on the social welfare system so it coincides with the reality of today rather than 50+ years ago.

Quoting FLmom26:

Quoting krisnkids:

superdivamom727
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 5:54 PM
Well my son still has his Medicaid until February '15 which good . But I spend the bulk of my lil income on food and gas and rent ! The food stamp would be a huge help. Im still in the midst of applying for food stamps my the person who did my interview said I might be denied. I just hope Not

And the only reason why I didnt apply for child support is because child support is a headahe and I dont need extra drama in my life right now from tge ex sperm donor at all. Ive been doing it on own my since he was born so im no stranger to struggling . But ive procrastinated on child support long enough. I dont think its fair to me or his son. I didn't make my son by myself. And my son can have more as well. Which is a plus.

Quoting Mygirl30248:

Yeah, I don't get any help statewise except subsidy which is a big help. Foodstamps personally I get childsupport I can swing things but I wish I could get health insurance, but I don't so I pay $55/month on Obamacare now. 

I get $15/month for foodstamps as a workers benefit. Only reason I get that is bc to get subsidy for childcare I have to qualify via the DHHS offices (don't get me started on that hassel, I have to go through two offices to make sure my subsidy is maintained & on track) so with that they know my income & I get the $15/month. I'll take it that's a loaf of bread, milk, eggs & possibly some fruit like 1lb of grapes. It's something I'm happy. 

But for those that just barely make the cut off I personally think to help give a boost they could allow say 3 months until your cut off maintaining your foodstamps so you can stock up. I was without a job in January for 3 weeks & got $300 for myself & DD who is only 6yo. It was way more then we needed for the 3 weeks w/o work but I stocked up mainly on meat to help get us through. We are just now finishing up that meat supply. 

So I think they should provid a bit more assistance & possibly tips on how to grocery shop etc (not that you OP don't know the good ol' common sense things but many don't know such things & need some help & when I was younger living in a homeless shelter helpful things like that would have been new information for me at that point in my life) if any of that makes sense. 

But yes get support paperwork filed your kid(s) need it & you need to be able to keep your head above water. Good lucky. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN