Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

question about moving states

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My husband and I have not yet divorced, but it is eminent. We have 4 kids, and I can't afford a place in the state we are in. My MIL offered to take us in, but she is clear across the country. I love her, and she will help get me on my feet. But my question is, legally can I take the kids out of state? If I file for divorce from there does it make it harder?

I don't want to create more problems, but I need to care for my kids in a more stable environment.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:07 PM
Replies (11-13):
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Aug. 14, 2014 at 11:34 PM
1 mom liked this
He says it's done now but even if he really doesn't want to see the kids he knows they are special and important to you an if the dovorce goes badly will probably do everything in his power to make you miserable
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Callaly
by Jessica on Aug. 15, 2014 at 7:59 AM

I would relocate and then file for divorce. Before anything is filed you have the right to move anywhere as much as he does with the kids.

SueSahara
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 11:26 AM
find out what the requirements are for establishing residency in the state that you want to move in and be diligent about making sure that you reach and surpassed the guidelines. Also if you can get a notarized letter from him stating that he is fine with the move to whatever state you are moving to and he is aware that it is permanent that should work in your favor. Then when you havve established residency in your new state file for divorce and child support there. I understand that his mother was great before but trust me when I say when crap hits the fan and you're going through a divorce that all goes to the waste side so be prepared to have to be on your own with your 4 kids. Good Luck

Quoting Anonymous: My husband and I have not yet divorced, but it is eminent. We have 4 kids, and I can't afford a place in the state we are in. My MIL offered to take us in, but she is clear across the country. I love her, and she will help get me on my feet. But my question is, legally can I take the kids out of state? If I file for divorce from there does it make it harder?

I don't want to create more problems, but I need to care for my kids in a more stable environment.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)