Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Books or Kindle/Nook?

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:33 AM
  • 13 Replies

Poll

Question: Books or E-reader?

Options:

Books

Kindle or Nook

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 15

View Results

Do you read books or do a kindle/nook reader?

My co-worker told me about this virtual library the County offers, so I tried it. I couldn't read it! I stare at a computer all day at work and couldn't get past the first page trying to read it on my laptop. I much prefer a book. Am I old-fashioned?

by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamalena137
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:59 AM

I'm on a computer all day at work so I don't want to read on a computer. I love books I can hold and dog ear. Plus I can always buy a used book. With kindle/nook you only can get new books.

ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 11:00 AM

I'm the same way.  I got a Nook and thought - WOW, this will be great and I ended up hating it - for books anyway.  I pretty much only use it to play Pandora while I'm getting ready in the mornings.  My DS will occasionally play a game on it.

I agree with you - I get tired of looking at a screen all day from work and I just love the feel of a book.  I also enjoy going to the library each week with my kids - or even on my own.  It's always quiet and it's fun 'finding the right book(s)' for all of us.

gcstar42
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 11:04 AM
I prefer books. I love going to the library (and so do my kids) and browsing through the shelves until I find a book that looks good. And I love curling up on the couch with a good book after my kids are all in bed. Holding a tablet or phone while you are reading is just not the same.
Callaly
by Jessica on Aug. 14, 2014 at 11:04 AM

I love books. I bought a kindle and its just not the same, not that I hate it but I don't enjoy it as much as a book.

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Aug. 14, 2014 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I prefer to read books.

reading

Frances0923
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Book 

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Aug. 14, 2014 at 12:20 PM

I prefer books.

jadedcynic
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 12:25 PM

I love books. I love the feel of them. I love the smell. But, physical books can be kind of a hassle sometimes. With my Kindle I can carry literally thousands of books in what is essentially the size of a thin hardback book. I can get most books that I would ever want to read for free through ebook sharing. Plus, I've noticed that I get through an ebook faster than a paper book because of adjustable fonts, built in dictionary, and even text to voice when my eyes are sore.

I'll never give up real books, but ebooks give me so many more opportunities to read the books I want to read.

zumbanerd
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 12:48 PM

The e-readers aren't at all like a computer screen if you get the paper like versions of them. It's just like reading on paper and you don't have to find places to put the books. Also, a lot of libraries have e-books that you can upload onto your e-reader. You have it for two weeks and then you aren't able to read them anymore and they are free. Also, Amazon prime members can get free books and B&N has plenty of free titles as well as Free Friday where you can get an app and/or a book that they feature on their blog.

I used to have to go through my library and weed out 100 books a year so that I could get new books. Now I don't have to do that anymore.

there are times that I do prefer a physical book, but in most cases my e-reader works perfectly for me.

Karen24
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 1:03 PM
The convenience of e-readers makes them appealing. They can easily fit into your purse...but my Kindle died recently. I don't have the money to replace it right now so it's books and only books for now. I love how you don't have to recharge their batteries!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN