Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

single mom trying to move out of parents'. Need advice!

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2014 at 5:23 PM
  • 19 Replies

I am interviewing for full time jobs, one is looking very very hopeful. I understand I won't be able to move out right away, but I at least want to have a plan of attack for when financials are right.

Since my parents make a lot of money, I cannot qualify for any type of assistance. but do I wait til I move out to go to WIC, or can I go to them upon getting a job and explain whats going on?

I think I will be able to afford an apartment although I know rates change depending on the season and what not so what I am seeing online in the area may not be the same. So with that in mind, I need to consider daycare. I know there are ways to get assistance with that, but again do I wait to move out to seek it? That will probably screw me over because if I am already out of the house, I won't have someone at home to help watch her. So how do I go about doing this since I don't qualify right now?

Any advice would be really helpful. And please only positive. I had moved out long before getting pregnant so I do know what I am doing, it's just the getting assistance thing I am not familiar with so please do not treat me like I know nothing.

by on Aug. 23, 2014 at 5:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KRIZZ25
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 6:36 PM
U NEED TO WAIT TO SEE HOW MUCH U MAKE AFTER TAXES,DAYCARE .I WOULD START SAVING ASAP..AND JUST CALCULATE AND SEE WHAT U CAN DO .AT LEAST U HAVE JOB AND WAY OUT ..I,M STUCK .
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Aug. 23, 2014 at 7:59 PM

In your state do they look at the income of everyone in the home for all state programs?

I would do as the other Mom suggested wait until you get a job and see what your bring home pay is than you can check the prices of daycare, cost to commute, food and what is left you can check places for rental in your area.

KarasMama2530
by Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 11:09 AM
I know WIC does household income. I have not looked into the day care assistance program.

I've been working part time retail for almost a year and still stuck so I feel for you Krizz! I'm really hoping I get this full time one, I haven't gotten any more interviews since this one so I'm getting worried.
MeeshMom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 3:23 PM
Is your family abusive? Call 211 see if you can get into a transitional housing program. That's how I got on my own two feet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KarasMama2530
by Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 4:29 PM

No they are not abusive at all. My mom and I are just arguing a lot and I feel like they treat me like a child. Also, I know life isn't fair, but how they treat my older brother compared to me just isn't right. I have been seeing a counselor to try to work through my issues/views, but without others working on themselves too, my progress is going no where.

I really feel like I am at a point where I need my own life. No more mommy and daddy. I will struggle and it will be hard, but I can't keep going on like I am now. And I do not want assistance forever. I will not abuse the system just to stay on assistance. The company I interviewed with gives raises often, they say you are in control of your pay. If you want higher pay you take more classes and move up the chain. Some people chose to do so, others don't. You can get two raises per year in the department I am in so in theory, I can be off government/state programs within a year.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 24, 2014 at 4:43 PM

I've lived with my mom most of my adult life and it isn't hard as long as they aren't hard asses, I have always told them truthfully that our finances are split, sharing a roof but living as seperate households. I prepare my own meals (mostly because everyone but my kids are gone during the days) and i get my own food stamps apart from her and money, etc. so you CAN be two households in one address. no biggie.

SpurgeonMom
by Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 4:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I live with my parents but they do not support me. I am on food assistance and looking into housing assistance. Just because you live with your parents doesn't disqualify you :-)
KarasMama2530
by Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Hmm, I'll have to look into that. We share EVERYTHING in this house and there pretty much is no privacy. I am trying to change the basement into a living space for my daughter and I but again, no one is doing their part and there is crap EVERYWHERE. Also, Mom is insisting on having the carpet cleaned before getting a couch down there; however, I cleared the floor some time ago and keep sending her groupons to encourage her to get it done.

Oh and I should mention, they own their own business and the offices are at home so they are here ALL the time, as am I since I have no money. I work part time retail and that is the only time I really get away. We also have 3 of their employees whose offices are here so yeah, I am NEVER alone. and it can really SUCK.

Also, they live about 30 mins from the "big" city which is where the very few friends I have live, and my bf lives about an hour away. So I never see any of my friends unless I drive to them. Yes they are crappy friends but they are all I have right now. My bf will come see me but he is a cop and works weird hours and he also has 2 boys, one of which he has full custody of and of course he comes first. So I would really like to move to where I am closer to everything. If I get this job I will be driving down there anyway, a 30 min drive plus morning traffic so it'll take longer.

KarasMama2530
by Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Quoting SpurgeonMom: I live with my parents but they do not support me. I am on food assistance and looking into housing assistance. Just because you live with your parents doesn't disqualify you :-)

How did you do this? Everything I see says house hold income and they turn me down. Maybe I should just set up an appointment with WIC and see if they will help...

SpurgeonMom
by Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 6:15 PM
I live in Colorado. My caseworker says since they don't support me or my kids I do not put their income. they signed a letter stating I'm renting a room from them and that I am responsible for my and my kids food.

Quoting KarasMama2530:

Quoting SpurgeonMom: I live with my parents but they do not support me. I am on food assistance and looking into housing assistance. Just because you live with your parents doesn't disqualify you :-)

How did you do this? Everything I see says house hold income and they turn me down. Maybe I should just set up an appointment with WIC and see if they will help...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)