Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

How to Start Living Alone

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2014 at 1:37 PM
  • 42 Replies

How does one go about buying a house for the first time?? Since I'll be working and going to school, is there any grants I should know about?? Help with child care??

Back Story:

I'll start this by saying that I have never lived by myself. I've never had my name on anything until my daughter was born. I should probly mention I'm 21 and we live with my parents currently. I was looking into college and found this really awesome school thats very hands on and the hours work with me since I haven't been able to hold a job since becoming pregnant in 2012. The only problem is that it's across the state- a 4 hr drive one way. So, since I have nothing tying me down here, I started looking into houses and found some really nice forclosures, but I don't know what to do from here. What all do I need to do?? (Her 'dad' is not in the picture, so him watching her or taking her for a few days isn't applicable.)

by on Aug. 24, 2014 at 1:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wendythewriter
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Not to sound rude or mean, but...how do you intend to pay a mortgage? you say you haven't been able to hold a job since you got pregnant 2 years ago, and haven't had your name on anything, so I assume that means you have no real credit history (no credit cards, loans, leases, etc.). That doesn't sound like you'd be able to get a loan to even buy a house, much less pay it back. 

_coldcoffee_
by Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 1:58 PM

I don't have credit, but my dad was telling me about grants that could help. I'm not really sure what I'm doing since this is new territory. I'm trying to make a checklist so I do it right.

Frances0923
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 3:33 PM
They're grants but it won't do much for you since you don't have a job or started building credit.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 24, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Talk to a Real Estate Agent = they're people free to talk to.

4Owlets
by Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 3:55 PM
Google your county's housing website. It should have a list of housing programs, including the grants available.
KarasMama2530
by Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 4:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I am kind of in the same boat. My daughter's "dad" isn't in the picture and I am trying to move out of my parents' as well.

Is renting an option? like someone said, look at the county housing. My town has low income housing. I even found there is a home for single moms, it's basically just a gaited single mom community and actually no guys are ever allowed on the premise. My bf wouldnt be okay with that lol!

Also, look into WIC and also for daycares that accept the day care assistance programs that are available. If I get this full-time job I interviewed for, I found a nearby safe, afforadable apartment as well as a daycare that accepts assistance programs. Google is your friend, but also be care. If something is too good to be true, it probably is. And sometimes it may be best to pick up the phone and call if you are unsure.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 24, 2014 at 4:46 PM

So what would YOU do in this spot, just starting out with nothing. What do you do? How do you start building credit and where would you be working with no job history.... 

Quoting Frances0923: They're grants but it won't do much for you since you don't have a job or started building credit.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 24, 2014 at 4:48 PM

what would you do in this spot? just wondering. i have the same questions as the op. i think she is wondering the same, how do you start? why do i see so many young people and couples buying homes, im sitting here like I cannot even afford rent on an effieciency. I don't even know what to do to start being an adult. 

Quoting wendythewriter:

Not to sound rude or mean, but...how do you intend to pay a mortgage? you say you haven't been able to hold a job since you got pregnant 2 years ago, and haven't had your name on anything, so I assume that means you have no real credit history (no credit cards, loans, leases, etc.). That doesn't sound like you'd be able to get a loan to even buy a house, much less pay it back. 

_coldcoffee_
by Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 5:19 PM

My friends are all getting married and just shacking up with joe blow down the street, but I enjoy my independence, so I want it to just be me and my daughter. I have no idea what to do to acheive that though.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

what would you do in this spot? just wondering. i have the same questions as the op. i think she is wondering the same, how do you start? why do i see so many young people and couples buying homes, im sitting here like I cannot even afford rent on an effieciency. I don't even know what to do to start being an adult. 

Quoting wendythewriter:

_coldcoffee_
by Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 5:24 PM

I'm not sure about renting, I would like to have something to show for all the money I'd be putting into an apartment. I've looked into their WIC programs and the like since I already have it here, I just know nothing about housing. I've worked 4 mo since my daughter was born and had unreliable family watching her, so that's why I haven't worked much lately. So I wouldn't know much about daycare either.

Quoting KarasMama2530:

I am kind of in the same boat. My daughter's "dad" isn't in the picture and I am trying to move out of my parents' as well.

Is renting an option? like someone said, look at the county housing. My town has low income housing. I even found there is a home for single moms, it's basically just a gaited single mom community and actually no guys are ever allowed on the premise. My bf wouldnt be okay with that lol!

Also, look into WIC and also for daycares that accept the day care assistance programs that are available. If I get this full-time job I interviewed for, I found a nearby safe, afforadable apartment as well as a daycare that accepts assistance programs. Google is your friend, but also be care. If something is too good to be true, it probably is. And sometimes it may be best to pick up the phone and call if you are unsure.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN