Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

New SO & discipline

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2014 at 8:59 PM
  • 22 Replies
Do you let your new SO discipline your children?
by on Aug. 26, 2014 at 8:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
faerie75
by Ruby Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 9:08 PM
Hell no. I listent to to input and he can verbally correct but I handle mine and he handles his. I don't WANT to handle his. I'm fine w him doing his dirty work and me mine.

I read too many stories of moms allowing step dad to discipline hers then when his precious snowflakes come for visit they are not held to the rules. That annoys the piss outta me. I can't say shit to your kid but you call yourself checking mine? NOPE.

To head that off we just handle our own and it works well.

ETA I have 2, he has 3 and we have one together. We are happy most of te time
Hippie_Chic_
by New Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 9:20 PM
He has none but has had a "stepson" before. But if he did it would be same treatment. I grew up with a stepdad who disciplined me. Because my real dad was a piece of shit. And my situation is similar to my childhood. Just wanting opinions. ❤️

Quoting faerie75: Hell no. I listent to to input and he can verbally correct but I handle mine and he handles his. I don't WANT to handle his. I'm fine w him doing his dirty work and me mine.

I read too many stories of moms allowing step dad to discipline hers then when his precious snowflakes come for visit they are not held to the rules. That annoys the piss outta me. I can't say shit to your kid but you call yourself checking mine? NOPE.

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 9:28 PM
I think you need to take it on a case by case basis. We are not "intact families" and not all blended families can act like one.

My kids were 12 and 15 when he came long so him trying to play daddy wouldnt have gone over well.

Quoting Hippie_Chic_: He has none but has had a "stepson" before. But if he did it would be same treatment. I grew up with a stepdad who disciplined me. Because my real dad was a piece of shit. And my situation is similar to my childhood. Just wanting opinions. ❤️

Quoting faerie75: Hell no. I listent to to input and he can verbally correct but I handle mine and he handles his. I don't WANT to handle his. I'm fine w him doing his dirty work and me mine.

Hippie_Chic_
by New Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 9:53 PM
Oh I understand that! Mine are 6 and 4 so still young. I make it clear he's not trying to take daddy's place but he loves them and wants to help us and be here for us.

Quoting faerie75: I think you need to take it on a case by case basis. We are not "intact families" and not all blended families can act like one.

My kids were 12 and 15 when he came long so him trying to play daddy wouldnt have gone over well.

Quoting Hippie_Chic_: He has none but has had a "stepson" before. But if he did it would be same treatment. I grew up with a stepdad who disciplined me. Because my real dad was a piece of shit. And my situation is similar to my childhood. Just wanting opinions. ❤️

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 9:55 PM
If their dad is involved I would prob stick to him just verbally correcting them. Good luck!

Quoting Hippie_Chic_: Oh I understand that! Mine are 6 and 4 so still young. I make it clear he's not trying to take daddy's place but he loves them and wants to help us and be here for us.

Quoting faerie75: I think you need to take it on a case by case basis. We are not "intact families" and not all blended families can act like one.

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:11 AM

Nump I haven't dated since my ex and I broke up

trfgirl56701
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 8:56 AM

Bump I haven't started dating yet

Frances0923
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Not for a mother effin second. SO has been in our lives 4 years (me) and 3 years (DS) and he STILL has no decipline authority for DS unless its a measly 30 minute timeout in your room sort of thing. NO YELLING,SPANKING OR ANYTHING! I figure that SO's comes and goes so y give them the allowance to discipline your children? My son has a lot of respect for SO so it never gets to that point anyways  

Callaly
by Jessica on Aug. 27, 2014 at 10:27 AM

a new SO? Never.

Myself and my SO have been together 4 years, we just moved intogether 2 months ago, and he will tell her no, he will calmly and verbally put her in her place if shes acting out, but other then that no not at all, its my job not his! He doesn't have any kids (thank god lol) but it would be the same thing..

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Aug. 27, 2014 at 10:31 AM
Not a new one but after years i would time out simple things my son needs to know he can't walk all over a "step parent" because mom won't let him discipline
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN