Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Shared Care - Different School District *UPDATE*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies

My ex recently moved out of the town, school district and county that we resided in. We have shared care and he has expressed that he wants our daughter going to the school district that he lives in. This will cause problems on several different levels. Could he take me back to court to get this changed?

*****I was able to find a government website that had statistics for three different schools (the school my daughter goes to, the school he would want her to go to and the school that is in my boyfriends town where we may move to). My boyfriend's town ranks the highest (blows the other two out of the water) however my ex's school ranks a little higher than the one she currently attends. Would this give him a good chance of getting her to change schools?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 23, 2014 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Sep. 23, 2014 at 2:51 PM

why does she need to go to the school in his district?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 23, 2014 at 2:55 PM

She doesn't "need" to but he wants that because he hates the town/school she is in now. He always expressed that he did not want her growing up in the town we were in and therefore moved.

Quoting virginiamama71:

why does she need to go to the school in his district?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 3:06 PM

Depends on who lives in the better school district.

My kids were in the city's school district, on the waiting list for 2 different better ones. Ex moved to one of them and we were able to get our kids in it. Such a relief because the city public schools are horrible.

Think what is best for the kids and their future.  My kids have been in the new district for 3 years and are thriving!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 23, 2014 at 3:11 PM

How do I find out which is the better school district? The district he lives in is several different towns and the high school is located in a completely separate town. The district I live in has several different elementary schools (the child goes to the one that is closest to their home), one middle school and one high school.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

My kids were in the city's school district, on the waiting list for 2 different better ones. Ex moved to one of them and we were able to get our kids in it. Such a relief because the city public schools are horrible.

Think what is best for the kids and their future.  My kids have been in the new district for 3 years and are thriving!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 3:13 PM

My ex toook my kids from me-because he didn't like when my kids were on a different school track than his SS.  I don't care about his SS.   My children were my number one concern.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 3:16 PM

try greatschools.org.

I also want to add that I moved as well, but not in the new district - just outside of it.  Their bus stop is a street away.  The housing prices were cheaper.

what grades are your kids in?

Quoting Anonymous 1:

How do I find out which is the better school district? The district he lives in is several different towns and the high school is located in a completely separate town. The district I live in has several different elementary schools (the child goes to the one that is closest to their home), one middle school and one high school.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 23, 2014 at 3:17 PM

So he successfully got them to change schools? My ex's gf has two adopted kids as well so I'm sure he'll want them to all go to school as well.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

My ex toook my kids from me-because he didn't like when my kids were on a different school track than his SS.  I don't care about his SS.   My children were my number one concern.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 23, 2014 at 3:20 PM

That site is reviews by people. My opinion of the schools he goes to are horrible because I went to school there. That doesn't make them bad, just my opinion. I'm wanting to see how the courts look at the schools. We only have one and she is in kindergarden.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

try greatschools.org.

I also want to add that I moved as well, but not in the new district - just outside of it.  Their bus stop is a street away.  The housing prices were cheaper.

what grades are your kids in?

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Yes.  I wouldn't say he lived in the best school district.  When they were middle school  - I found out there was a molester in the area taking kids off the street when walking to school.  My kids lived in walking distance.  Their H.S. was very close to where they lived.  Stmo worked at all three schools.  So it was difficult for me to even attend any activities my kids were in.

I wouldn't say they went to the best of schools because the ratio of students was more Hispanics (Spanish speaking vs Caucasions-Whites - non Spanish Speaking).  The schools were new, so ok.  Vs - the schools where they had been going in the past be it with me or when my ex and I were married to at the time  were older and been around for sometime longer. The teaching credentials were better and had a better Report card earnings.

When they went to College - (Also a new school) no choice but to be at the one closest to where they lived.  They're under dads' roof. 

Quoting Anonymous 1:

So he successfully got them to change schools? My ex's gf has two adopted kids as well so I'm sure he'll want them to all go to school as well.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 23, 2014 at 3:33 PM

It's just really messed up that he's the one that moved and that wasn't enough for the custody order to change but yet he could change it so she would attend his schools. And yet if I try to move out of town, I'm told I would lose custody of her.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Yes.  I wouldn't say he lived in the best school district.  When they were middle school  - I found out there was a molester in the area taking kids off the street when walking to school.  My kids lived in walking distance.  Their H.S. was very close to where they lived.  Stmo worked at all three schools.  So it was difficult for me to even attend any activities my kids were in.

I wouldn't say they went to the best of schools because the ratio of students was more Hispanics (Spanish speaking vs Caucasions-Whites - non Spanish Speaking).  The schools were new, so ok.  Vs - the schools where they had been going in the past be it with me or when my ex and I were married to at the time  were older and been around for sometime longer. The teaching credentials were better and had a better Report card earnings.

When they went to College - (Also a new school) no choice but to be at the one closest to where they lived.  They're under dads' roof. 

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)