Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Independence

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:03 AM
  • 7 Replies
Do you think as a single mom you give your children more independence at an earlier age?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
krisnkids
by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 10:17 AM

I dont' think I have personally. I know with my kids I have more restrictions than many parents I know. Ie no dating until 16, I know where my teens are at, who they are with and what they are doing. There is no alcohol in my house and therefore no drinking in my house. etc.

Miss_Magnolia.
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 1:33 PM

maybe but I don't think it's a bad thing.

my kids are 4.5 &6. They both are independent in the bathroom including showers. They get themselves dressed. They clear their places at dinner my oldest sweeps the floor. They clean their own room and help sort and fold laundry. I don't think it unusual for kids to be helpful around the house. If I weren't a single mom I'd still expect these things. However when I go to parties I notice my kids are the only ones to clean up after themselves after eatting. I have no idea if it has anything to do with me being single.

my 4.5 to will be 5 in December. She just recently became independent in the shower.

Callaly
by Jessica on Oct. 15, 2014 at 1:38 PM

For us its the opposite. Now SO is in our lives, he is showing me that she can do big girl things, I was babying her alot, since living with him she showers on her own, whipes her own bum, gets up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom without waking me up.

amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 2:11 PM

My kids are somewhat independent, but since I work from home, they definitely aren't as independent as I was at their ages!

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Oct. 15, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Yes I do!

RocknRoll.Rose
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2014 at 8:12 PM

I think so. I'm raising my 12 year old brother and he has more independance than most kids his age. His friends can't hardly fix themselves a sandwich and yet he frequently cooks dinner. He also cleans and manages his money and helps with the younger kids. With me working so much, I have had to lean on him a lot for help and he is a big help.

reading   playing soccer   boy n girl

Melody       Conner Wyatt and Tabitha

cjsmom1
by Group Admin on Oct. 17, 2014 at 4:01 PM

No, but his dad does

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)