• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

confused and heartbroken

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
I was married 17 years, didn't live together the first 7 years of marriage because he wouldnt leave his family's home and I was not allowed to live there according to his family, my family gave me property in my name so I could have somewhere to live, I physically and moneterally made a home for us to start, all my money and my time, promised me we could try to have a baby but kept backing out, I did get prego and it was a surprise and a blessing but unfortunately the marriage was ruined by that time, he did put a house on property and now wants me to pay for it, I haven't been to work in several years to a back condition, when I worked I worked 22 years at one job and 17 of those years I worked 2 full time jobs in the winter, he wants my property and all, the only time he put here was when the new house came in, nevery finished it, left me and my daughter without adequate heat, a mess. My question is can he take everything I worked for?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 6, 2015 at 4:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Oliviasmom72
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:12 PM

Very odd arrangement. You need to see an attorney asap. If you are in a community property state both of your properties and assets may be subject to equitable distribution. I would give him nothing right now. You need an attorney.

I cannot believe you married a guy who refused to move out from his home the first 7 years.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 6, 2015 at 6:04 PM
Wasn't the arrangement when we got married, got thrown out 3 months after wedding, family said I wasn't good enough.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 6, 2015 at 6:40 PM
Wasn't the arrangement when we got married, got thrown out 3 months after wedding, family said I wasn't good enough.
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:30 PM

Contact a lawyer.

ame4c
by Group Admin on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:58 PM
Yep you need a good lawyer.

Quoting virginiamama71:

Contact a lawyer.

wise.toes
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:07 PM

contact a lawyer.

but it's pretty common for one spouse to "buy out" the other spouse in the event of a divorce.

cjsmom1
by Group Admin on Jan. 7, 2015 at 1:26 AM

Contact a lawyer. Do you have proof that he didn't live there? Do you have proof that he didn't put any money into the house?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 7, 2015 at 6:32 AM
Yes, I have plenty of proof we didn't live together, we never had a checking or savings account together, all bills paid from my account, my paychecks in never his, plus I sup ported him 3 different 2 years college. My whOle family and his plus all our friends knew we didn't live together, didn't have same address until a year after he came here.
Oliviasmom72
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 10:27 AM

I love it when foreigners move here and their families bitch about American women and that the woman they chose is not good enough. Let me guess he is either Hindu or Muslim? Please do not let yourself be treated like this by any future men. In America, you marry and you move in togetherm just the 2 of you, and you should be first priority in the marriage apart from any kids you share.

Please make an appt with an attorney. Gather all paperwork you have, emails, texts, save them. Write down any questions you have so you dont forget to ask them. Do not listen to this man or believe anything he tells you.

Good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)