Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Newly single. Should I move in with my parents?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 30 Replies
After 8 years together, my fiancé and I split up. I'm in school (I still have 3 years left) and I work part time for the city as a receptionist. My work schedule is perfect because I only work while my son is at school (otherwise I wouldn't have anyone else who could drop off/pick up) and I also have plenty of time for homework. But if I had to work full time, I'd find a way.
Anyways, with the amount I make I'd be able to get a 1 bedroom apartment with my son. It would probably be shitty apartments, I could try to make it feel like home though. I would feel independent knowing that I'm doing it all on my own. But my parents suggested I move back in with them to save money. They live down the street from where we live right now so we're already over there 3-4 days a week lol. We usually spend our weekends at their house. It's my "happy place" and they have a guest room, play room, big backyard, nice neighborhood. My son would be able to go to the same school, and I'd still be able to go to school and keep working part time. I think living with them might help my son cope with having his parents split up (& also help me cope since I wouldn't be as lonely.)
BUT I'm 25, almost 26...I feel like I'm too old to live with my parents! Plus I feel bad because they just became empty nesters and they need to enjoy their quiet time.
What should I do?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
faerie75
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:32 AM
I moved in w my parents around that age and it was fucking awesome. My dad cooked and did all my laundry and got my boys off to school w a fat breakfast every day (I worked nights). They didn't care if I stepped out as long as i put the kids to bed first. They built another bedroom onto the house for the kids.

All in all my experiwnce was great.
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I would move in with the parents. 

wise.toes
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

i'd move back home in that situation.

i lived with my mom after a relationship failed also. it happens, plus you're in school so it's not like you're not going anywhere in life. =)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:38 AM
Haha that does sound awesome. My parents spoil my kid too so I think he'd love it lol
How long did you live with them? Did you still feel like an adult?
I'm wondering about how long I should stay if I do descide to move in. I don't know if I'd wait until I finish school or what.

Quoting faerie75: I moved in w my parents around that age and it was fucking awesome. My dad cooked and did all my laundry and got my boys off to school w a fat breakfast every day (I worked nights). They didn't care if I stepped out as long as i put the kids to bed first. They built another bedroom onto the house for the kids.

Elle.tea.22
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Move in with them as a trial, if it doesn't work out, get your own place but atleast you can step back and dave some money. If it works out, stay. I wouldn't do it because I was brought up different but if they offered and you are in school and working, I don't see why not. I'm personaly opposed to splitting up and crashing at mom's to do nothing with ones life.

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:39 AM
2 years.

Yes I felt like an adult. My parents didn't give me "rules". Just to respect the house.

They were pretty hands on w my kids but I don't mind. Some ppl do get all bent over that.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Haha that does sound awesome. My parents spoil my kid too so I think he'd love it lol
How long did you live with them? Did you still feel like an adult?
I'm wondering about how long I should stay if I do descide to move in. I don't know if I'd wait until I finish school or what.

Quoting faerie75: I moved in w my parents around that age and it was fucking awesome. My dad cooked and did all my laundry and got my boys off to school w a fat breakfast every day (I worked nights). They didn't care if I stepped out as long as i put the kids to bed first. They built another bedroom onto the house for the kids.

rachel216
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this
I would move back in with my parents. I'd rather be in a place where I'm comfortable then in a place where I'll feel alone empty and anxious. I'm 23almost 24. I would rather save money and get a place where me and both my kids are comfortable rather then struggle. Good luck with everything
RonaH
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 11:03 AM

Move in with them give them a few bucks every month and save save save. If its not working out you can always move out. I think its fine as long as you contribute.

idomatter
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Three years is a reasonable amount of time to post up at your peeps, esp. if you get along ok.

I did 3 years with my peeps, two of them I was in school full time/working part time. And, hold on to your hat, I was 39 when I entered that arrangement.

For the happy ending, I obtained my associates degree and paralegal certification, moved out, and got stable w/my kids.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 20, 2015 at 11:21 AM

I am a newly single 30 year old that is about to move in with my grandma after my split up. It was very hard and I feel extremely low but It's not a forever thing, just until I find a decent place I can afford. Try it for a little while.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)