Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does this make you want to steer clear of dollar stores now?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 10:49 AM
  • 14 Replies

A new report tested 164 dollar store products (toys, jewelry, school supplies, and other household items) and found over 81% of them contained at least one hazardous chemical above levels of concern. We want to know how this news will impact CafeMom members. Does this make you want to steer clear of dollar stores now? Why or why not? Please also include your first name, last initial, city/state - so we can attribute your quote in our coverage of the news. Thanks in advance!

by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 10:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ame4c
by Group Admin on Feb. 4, 2015 at 10:53 AM
I don't shop at dollar stores much anyway. However it's not any different than Wal-Mart. They are all out to make a buck off the poor people. Most people can't afford to shop anywhere else.
SwitchbladeMama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 11:50 AM

I have honestly never shopped at a dollar store. I buy all my "cheap" stuff at Target, I like their Up & Up products.

BusyBee123abc
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:09 PM

This news definitely makes me re think shopping at dollar stores, I stop in occasionally for quick items but now I think it might be worth me while to go that extra mile to target, Kroger, or specialty store. I'm not a Walmart shopper so at least I have that going

-Amanda j. Columbus/OH

Oliviasmom72
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:18 PM

Dollar Stores are great for cleaning products, household stuff, hand soaps, snacks, holiday decor, etc. I do not see how its different from Walmart or Target. Target was selling a supplement the FDA just ruled was garbage and they pulled it from the shelves as well as GNC. There are many things I will not buy from Dollar Store but basic household stuff is usually less than half the cost. Also home pregnancy tests and ovulation kids are a $1 you cannot beat that.

slt1680
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:54 PM

no i dont stop there much but even when i do its not for any of that

briellesmomma
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 1:00 PM
I do shop at them a lot. I have no choice sometimes. It's disturbing to say the least. I should not have to worry about the quality of the products I buy just because I can't afford to shop anywhere else. Some people, like myself, truly have no choice. This is shocking and scary that I could possibly be hurting myself and my children because I have to save money for us to survive.

Velvet D.
Bronx, NY
musicpisces
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 1:05 PM

I think the fact that products made that cheaply might contain something hazardous is a given.  It doesn't change my opnion, because I've made that assumption for years.  Most of these products are made in China or in other countries with a history of high toxin levels in their exports.  I avoid dollar stores for the most part.

Suzanne H, Santa Rosa, CA

amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 1:45 PM

Me too!  I love their Up & Up products and Archer Farms products for food.

Quoting SwitchbladeMama:

I have honestly never shopped at a dollar store. I buy all my "cheap" stuff at Target, I like their Up & Up products.

LifeCafe42
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 4:20 PM
I go to the dollar store for a few things I've seen these reports before I will continue to shop but I only buy the name brand items
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nebraskamomto2
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 5:15 PM

I don't shop at the dollar store much but it doesn't really surprise me.  The quality of most items in dollars stores isn't great.

Want to tighten, tone, and firm up that baby belly?  Have you tried the 45 minute body wrap applicator that gives you results lasting 3-6 months! Message me or visit my website for more info or to order yours!  http://www.angelak.myitworks.com/ 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)