Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

College Question?

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 2:28 AM
  • 50 Replies
Ok so I met with financial aid for my son's school. It looks like he qualifies for nothing but loans and the brunt of the loans are me taking them out. I already have a massive amount in student loans for myself and I can't afford more and worse, how am I going to put another child through college?

Dad is a financial dead beat and has to be forced to pay what little child support I get. There is no way he will give my son money for college. I'm at a loss at what to do. I got my education to better our lives and now my children are going to suffer for it?

I have a choice to try and take x back to court for $$$ owes. He was supposed to pay 50% of medical costs for my kids and hasn't paid a dime of it. I wasn't going to go back to court over it but man I'm so frustrated that he gets to walk out on one family and just leave these kids he helped create. He pays very little in child support because I make a lot more than he does.

Do you ever think that if you give up on bettering yourself it would be better for your kids? I need advice here if anyone has been through this before. I was so devistated after this financial meeting, I just sat in my car and cried.
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 2:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Mar. 15, 2015 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm not there yet but already know when I get there I will pay for my son to go to college. It will be getting a better paying job plus a second job. That's what I want to do for my son and I will always be there for him till the breath leaves my body .

Not sure why you even think about taking their father back to court. You said father and son have not held a relationship in years.

He has not helped with the medical bills. After all of this nothing will change.

Frances0923
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 11:06 AM
Do you own a house? You can refinance your home to pull some cash out
amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 3:09 PM

Take him back to court and get that support enforced!  Don't give up on yourself or your dreams.  You deserve to be happy and your kids deserve to see you be happy. (((hug)))

ame4c
by Group Admin on Mar. 15, 2015 at 4:39 PM
I do but I just bought it 4 years ago. I was so proud that I was able to do that all on my own without help from a man and now I feel defeated trying to get my son to school. What bothers me most, is I have another teenager to put thru school too.

Quoting Frances0923: Do you own a house? You can refinance your home to pull some cash out
mrsary
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 4:45 PM
See if he can get into the military. They pay for everything.
ame4c
by Group Admin on Mar. 15, 2015 at 4:49 PM
I am always there for my son but I can't take out $20000 in loans every year. I can't afford it on my own. It takes all I have to give them what I do now.

How do you plan on paying for your sons college? If you think just getting a second job will work you are wrong. In fact it could hurt him more in the long run because he will not qualify for financial help the more you make.

Quoting virginiamama71:

I'm not there yet but already know when I get there I will pay for my son to go to college. It will be getting a better paying job plus a second job. That's what I want to do for my son and I will always be there for him till the breath leaves my body .

Not sure why you even think about taking their father back to court. You said father and son have not held a relationship in years.

He has not helped with the medical bills. After all of this nothing will change.

ame4c
by Group Admin on Mar. 15, 2015 at 4:53 PM
Military is not an option here. They won't take him.

Quoting mrsary: See if he can get into the military. They pay for everything.
mrsary
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 4:56 PM
Oh, okay.

Quoting ame4c: Military is not an option here. They won't take him.

Quoting mrsary: See if he can get into the military. They pay for everything.
Elle.tea.22
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Does he have crappy grades? Why didn't he play a sport or instrument or get top notch grades to be able to pay for college? Doesn't your kid know what the financial situation is?
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Mar. 15, 2015 at 5:22 PM

Why is the military not taking him?

what is he interested in doing? Maybe trade school?

Is community college an option?

Can he work for a year or two and save?

Take parttime classes and work?

Quoting ame4c: I am always there for my son but I can't take out $20000 in loans every year. I can't afford it on my own. It takes all I have to give them what I do now. How do you plan on paying for your sons college? If you think just getting a second job will work you are wrong. In fact it could hurt him more in the long run because he will not qualify for financial help the more you make.
Quoting virginiamama71:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)