Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Co-Parenting, making the best choices!

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 10:02 PM
  • 5 Replies
Hello, So I have been single for a long time now, my daughter's father left when I was about two-months pregnant and he decided that after 4 years it was time to show up and be involved in our daughter's life. What do I do? He just moved from Texas, and moved back to Arizona with his now wife and son. The past few years for me have been very difficult, it seems like it is never ending crying and giving up. I am quite tired! I don't think it is fair! When he was in Texas he called, but never was consistent, which led me to block his number because I was tired of only answering when he felt like calling, my daughter was beginning to not want to talk to him, and I was not going to be the person who pushed or forced the relationship with her dad. I got a message from him, via Facebook where he asked to see our daughter, he is now living in AZ. I don't know what to do. I am completely torn. I want to try and co-parent and have supervised visits where all three of us attend, but at the same time I do wish he would have just stayed in Texas and continue with his life (this makes me feel very selfish). I just want to make the right choice.
by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 10:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
woodstock525
by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 10:12 PM

Was paternity established?  Was there ever a court order for custody or visitation?  If so, what did it say?  Was there a court order for child support?  If the answer to all of these questions is no, then sit back and if he's interested let him file for rights in court.  Then, you counterfile for child support, retro child support, and gradual reintegration supervised visitations and make sure you get the CO established in a way that you won't constantly be running back and forth to court.

cjsmom1
by Group Admin on Apr. 11, 2015 at 12:32 AM
You need to talk to him and find out what his intentions are. Meet with him just the two of you and find out how involved he wants to be. I'd be apprehensive on letting him around your dd since he was gone for so long. If you decide to let him around your dd I'd start with Ashley supervised visits.
ame4c
by Group Admin on Apr. 11, 2015 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this
If he wants to be a father he can take you to court for his parental rights. Then and only then you will know his intentions.
amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 12, 2015 at 3:36 PM

This is good advice.

Quoting woodstock525:

Was paternity established?  Was there ever a court order for custody or visitation?  If so, what did it say?  Was there a court order for child support?  If the answer to all of these questions is no, then sit back and if he's interested let him file for rights in court.  Then, you counterfile for child support, retro child support, and gradual reintegration supervised visitations and make sure you get the CO established in a way that you won't constantly be running back and forth to court.

Juli1206
by on Apr. 12, 2015 at 4:10 PM
Thank you for your replies! They are all very helpful. By the way all the answers to the questions are no.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)