Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you consider yourself ambitious when it comes to your job?

Posted by on May. 17, 2015 at 12:08 PM
  • 6 Replies

Crazy Talkin' TV Host Who Says Women Are Happier at Home Has It All Wrong

Isn't it so awesome when people say the dumbest things, but you actually agree in part with them? That's sarcasm, by the way, because it's not cool at all. A Fox News guest made an outrageous claim on the cable news network this week about the gender wage gap -- that women don't want to work, and would be happier at home, barefoot and pregnant.

Well OK then. In all fairness, he didn't say "barefoot and pregnant," but he did insinuate that women are not biologically capable of exerting themselves like a man would in the workplace.

Let's start at the beginning of the Hannity segment during which this all occurred, shall we? In fact, you can watch it here:

Host Sean Hannity asked people on the street if they'd support Hillary Clinton if they knew that she paid her female staffers 72 cents on the dollar to what she paid her male employees. Please keep in mind that the national average across the board is 77 cents on the dollar, and it's Democrats, not Republicans, using that figure to promote "equality in the workplace."

All things good so far. Guest Tamara Holder (a Democrat) called Hannity out for manipulating the data to make it seem like Senator Clinton had paid her female staffers less. Um, you mean like the data manipulated to make it seem like women earn 77 cents for every dollar a man makes?

The fact of the matter is that all things considered equal, there is no pay gap. According to a TIME magazine article from 2014:

The bottom line: the 23-cent gender pay gap is simply the difference between the average earnings of all men and women working full-time. It does not account for differences in occupations, positions, education, job tenure or hours worked per week. When such relevant factors are considered, the wage gap narrows to the point of vanishing.

OK, so more women than men opt out of the workplace for a time, or forever, to take care of their families. Sorry, but someone who has more years of experience in a particular job, or who is willing to put in longer hours at the office, deserves to earn more. Call me silly, but that's what I believe.

Unfortunately, instead of jumping on Holder for saying skewed statistics are part of the game, Hannity's right wing guest, Gavin McInnes, absolutely stuck his foot in his mouth.

Let me remind you that McInnes does not speak for all Republicans, people. I'm a proud member of the GOP, and I was horrified by his comments.

He said, "Women do earn less in American because they choose to ... They would rather go to their daughter's piano recital than stay all night at work, working on a proposal, so they end up earning less."

OK, sure, generally speaking, moms tend to feel the mommy guilt, and more of us would likely blow off work for our kids than dads would. That's just the way it goes.

But then he went on. "[Women are] less ambitious," he said.

Hold the freaking phone. Even if we are more likely to put our families ahead of an all-nighter at work, what the hell does that have to do with ambition? Is wanting to be there for your kids not considered ambitious, loyal, dedicated, hardworking, etc?

Unfortunately, it got even worse. McInnes went on to say, "This is sort of God's way -- this is nature's way -- of saying women should be at home with the kids ... They're happier there."

Just ... wow. What a disservice to dads too, who would rather be home with their kids, but feel the pressure to bring home the bacon and choose to work those long hours in the office to provide for their families instead. Does that mean they love their kids less? This whole idea is so convoluted that it makes my head hurt.

He continued making stupid comments. "If you were a real feminist you would support housewives and see them as the heroes and women who work wasting their time," he told Holder.

I wasn't aware that my full-time job that puts a roof over my kids' head, food on the dinner table, and gas in the car; not to mention tuition, clothes, activities, etc., was "wasting my time." What is this Republican suggesting, that I get on the public dole and homeschool my kids so that I don't have to work, because that would make me happier?

Holder asked at one point, "Why am I sitting here?" At the same time, I was asking myself, "What the heck am I hearing from a so-called Republican?"

"You're making a mistake," McInnes responded. "You would be much happier at home with a husband and children." At least Sean Hannity had the decency to do a face palm at that point. Because that was truly an idiotic statement.

This is so demeaning to just about everyone in America. He's telling stay-at-home-moms that they're not ambitious; hard-working dads that they're avoiding their families; working moms that they're self-loathing because they'd really rather be at home; and stay-at-home-dads that they have even less ambition than the moms who choose to stay home, because that's "women's work."

I can appreciate that women generally tend to choose careers that keep them closer to home (both figuratively and literally), while men usually opt for more hours in the office. It's not a rule, at ALL, and God bless the female surgeon and God bless the male kindergarten teacher.

Just because members of one gender are more inclined to live their lives a particular way, doesn't mean it applies to everyone. That's why America is a fantastic place to live. We don't have to conform to any one way of life. We get to choose our own path.

Unfortunately, there will probably always be guys like this dude ready to tell us we're wrong.

No matter what your political party, are you offended by Gavin McInnes' comments?

by on May. 17, 2015 at 12:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
randi1978
by Murdoc's Mistress on May. 17, 2015 at 12:21 PM

I hated being a home maker.  Absolutely LOATHED it.  I'm sure a lot of it had to do with the fact that my now ex husband was a damned tool who couldn't take care of himself (might as well had an extra child).  But I do believe I wasn't cut out for it because hanging around, wiping noses and asses just does not appeal to me.  I like having adult interactions that do not involve some SAHM playgroup.

cjsmom1
by Group Admin on May. 19, 2015 at 1:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Some people are idiots. I would never want to be a sahm. Ideally I would work part-time so that I'm still spending lots of time with ds and still have some adult interaction.

Oliviasmom72
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2015 at 10:46 AM

If I was in a happy marriage I would be a SAHM but I am divorced so I have to work. I have always been independennt, made good ,money. SAHM's are more apt to be younger women who probably never made a fortune and are totally ok with being totally dependent on their husband. I think a SAHM should do things on the side for money....you never know when the marriage will go sour and you are on your own.

ame4c
by Group Admin on May. 19, 2015 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this
If I had a choice to be a SAHM I would but some of us have to put food on the table. Others get the choice to stay home. Im glad some can make that choice. I just can't.

I get tired of SAHMs crying about how hard they work. Frankly I do everything they do and work 50-60 hrs a week. I still have to get my kids to their activities, make sure they are fed and I still have to clean my house and help with homework. I attend recitals, football games and scout meetings. I just have to do a lot more time management to get it all done.
Sister_Someone
by Member on May. 19, 2015 at 3:26 PM

What a moron.

I would never be a SAHM. I'd be miserable, and I'd be just plain bad at it. I'm not good at... anything, literally anything at all related to the home. I am, however, extraordinary at my job. I could be richer than Donald freakin' Trump himself and I'd still work, because there is so much that I want to achieve in this field. It's my driving force.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 19, 2015 at 4:20 PM

I would LOVE to be a stay at home mom. Driving kids to school, picking them up, eating lunch with them, etc sounds amazing to me. But I am single and bring home the bread. OH well, it is what it is 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)