• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I kinda want to stop (Bible study related)

Posted by on May. 17, 2015 at 4:17 PM
  • 9 Replies
Long story short:

Around a year ago, I stopped going to church bc the churches that I had been attending, in my opinion, were beginning to focus on head counts, $$$, and status. All of my life I've had this love for The Most High & an eagerness to please Him, but I'm in no way religious.
Anyway, I accepted a Bible study from a JW shortly after I stopped going. These studies are intense; eye opening even. I even went to a service or two of theirs just to see what was really going on. After much meditating and thought, I decided to not attend another meeting and I even told my Bible study lady this, bc I had no intent what so ever to join; I simply enjoyed studying with her. She states that she's fine with this, but here lately as this study is almost finished, her agenda to get me to join is so blatant. Our studies normally last about 30-40 min; now, they go for over an hour of her persisting me to join because " she's worried for myself and my kids". I love this lady; I've never met someone so faithful & committed to the cause.. But I'm tempted to tell her that I don't want to do this anymore. I probably have a few more chapters left to do..

Would you just finish the lesson, to complete it for your own knowledge or quit completely?

Sigh.
by on May. 17, 2015 at 4:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
triggersmom27
by Member on May. 17, 2015 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this

if it were me i wouldn't finish them. i would want to be somewhere that accepts me and my opinion not shoves theirs down my throat. there is a difference between assisting someone on their journey vs demanding someone accept what they believe. there are several other bible studies out there to try if you would like.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on May. 17, 2015 at 5:17 PM

I would stop the studies since you kindly told her you want to stop and now she has changed and starting putting pressure on you to follow her beliefs.

brieri
by on May. 17, 2015 at 7:59 PM
2 moms liked this

This is a hard one.  For me, I haven't given up on my belief system.    For you, I would say, finish it up, a few more sessions won't hurt and knowing you made some friendships is pretty headstrong.  When it's all over, then you will know to taking the right path to your life.  Just remember to thank them for all they have done for you. You also will have knowledge to take on with you in your next journey of the path.  If you quit now, you might ask yourself alot of "what if's and wondered if you really did make the right moves in the wrong moment.

EvaStylemom419
by Member on May. 17, 2015 at 9:11 PM
1 mom liked this
I also studied with JW. I stopped studying bc I felt pressured to do everything arnd their schedule. I felt I had to giv my soul to men (JW) to b approved by God andI stopped studying. You will be ok wo them. U can always educate urself so js keep the book.
ayacocca
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2015 at 9:48 PM
Thanks for your insight.. Its good teaching, do you agree? Its just the pressure, oh my God..😞

Quoting EvaStylemom419: I also studied with JW. I stopped studying bc I felt pressured to do everything arnd their schedule. I felt I had to giv my soul to men (JW) to b approved by God andI stopped studying. You will be ok wo them. U can always educate urself so js keep the book.
klocker21
by on May. 17, 2015 at 9:52 PM
2 moms liked this
Red flag: their focus is to get you to join their church. The focus should be on turning your life over to Christ and accepting his free gift of salvation through the forgiveness if your sins.

Denomination, schedules and all that should be a distand 2nd.

Please pick a NIV or NASB Bible and please, keep reading it!

EvaStylemom419
by Member on May. 18, 2015 at 1:53 AM
1 mom liked this
They explain the bible well but theyve changed alot in their bibles which they rnt suppsed to do...research research!!!! Doubt is part of faith!!! Andonly God can see ur heart!!! No man can do tht. Remember tht. :))

Quoting ayacocca: Thanks for your insight.. Its good teaching, do you agree? Its just the pressure, oh my God..😞

Quoting EvaStylemom419: I also studied with JW. I stopped studying bc I felt pressured to do everything arnd their schedule. I felt I had to giv my soul to men (JW) to b approved by God andI stopped studying. You will be ok wo them. U can always educate urself so js keep the book.
cjsmom1
by Group Admin on May. 18, 2015 at 2:01 AM
2 moms liked this
I would stop and study on my own. As you get closer to finishing the lessons she'll probably try to pressure you more. What's important is how you feel about your faith and what you believe in your heart. Whether or not you go to church that won't change.
Shai4710
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2015 at 6:49 AM
Don't be a JW. They are rigid I. Their thinking and with their studies. You have to turn your life over to GOD. They make everything about their church and it should be about GOD!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)