Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Going back to work 1 week after baby

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies
I'm hoping other mothers have been in this same situation and can offer advice and support. I'm currently pregnant and due in a few months. By the time I have the baby I should have about 4 paid days off accumulated (after subtracting the time needed off for doctor visits). I'm going to take the week off that I have the baby but I can't afford to take any more time than that. I wish I could, but I just can't afford it.
Has anyone else had to go back to work a week after having the baby? Can you offer any advice?
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 25, 2015 at 5:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
grneyedormom
by Kendra on Sep. 25, 2015 at 5:26 PM
Who will provide care for the baby when you return? What if you have a c-section and aren't released to return to work for a month?
jlm2676
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 5:27 PM
Where I live I was not allowed to drive for 2 weeks
mamatink7
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 5:29 PM
It's not healthy for a new mom to be back to work so soon after baby. All baby needs after they are born is mommy. We aren't even allowed to move around for 6 weeks.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 25, 2015 at 5:42 PM
Like I said I just can't afford to take more than a week off. And I'm married so my husband was going to take paid time off. He'll have about 3 weeks of leave.
I'm trying to save as much as possible before then so maybe I could take a couple extra days but it's not easy. We're already living pay check to pay check.
I really don't have another option so I'm mainly looking for support in doing it and maybe a little advice on how to survive it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 25, 2015 at 5:42 PM
With my third I was back working(baby sitting 5+ kids a day) 2 days after getting home from the hospital. I got a regular job 3 weeks later. It's hard but doable. If you are breastfeeding/pumping you need to talk to your work about needing a place to pump. Other than that you should be fine if you have someone that will watch your baby. Day cares can't have babies until 6 weeks.
Hiker11
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 5:46 PM
2 moms liked this
I just had my daughter exactly one month ago. I returned full time to work this past Monday and I had been working part time since about a week after she was born. You do what you have to do. Is this your first child? Will you have to have a csection? I had an urgent csection but I healed much faster than my first csection. What do you do for work? Is it strenuous physical labor or more of an office job?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 25, 2015 at 5:58 PM
This is my second. I'm expecting an easy birth like my son. No complications so far. I'm a teacher and work from 7-4 with no breaks. I figured I will just bottle feed the baby and not pump since I really won't be able to keep up at work. I did bottle mainly with my son since he wouldn't nurse and he's developed great.
jessi2girls
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 6:35 PM

You will need to find child care that will take him. Most day care centers won't take a child under 6 weeks old..It's great that your husband can take 3 weeks off, I would schedule him to take off just the days you are in the hospital, have him return to work for the rest of the days you have off, then for him to use up the remander of those 3 weeks.. which will put you at just under to just 4 weeks.. leaving you with only 2 weeks to worry about child care...

If you can get more time off, you could extend that a little further, but probably not by much..  the closer you and your hubs get to 6 weeks the better off you'll both be.. 

besides you'll need time to get all the paperwork into a day care if you do day care, etc.. 

grneyedormom
by Kendra on Sep. 25, 2015 at 6:36 PM
1 mom liked this
If you are a teacher, then where is your vacation and sick time? And you will (should, as long as you've met the requirements as an individual) qualify for FMLA. Do you not have short term disability benefits? That can pay a portion of your salary while on maternity leave.

Quoting Anonymous 1: This is my second. I'm expecting an easy birth like my son. No complications so far. I'm a teacher and work from 7-4 with no breaks. I figured I will just bottle feed the baby and not pump since I really won't be able to keep up at work. I did bottle mainly with my son since he wouldn't nurse and he's developed great.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 25, 2015 at 8:10 PM
You have to accumulate sick time with hours (stupid I know) it ends up being 1 day per month you work. I'm due in December so that's 4 days. I had one roll over from last year but it will be used with doctor appointments. And I do qualify for FMLA but that only means I get time off, no pay. And I looked into short term disability but I can get it since I'm
Already pregnant.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)