Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has there ever been a threat at your child's school?

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 10:28 AM
  • 5 Replies

I was reading the news this morning and there was a threat made against teachers at the school my 2 older nieces attend. Pretty scary. Police are now saying that the threat isn't credible, but I read that the one teacher specified as well as others are pretty much 'scared to death' about it. The threat was supposedly made by a current student wanting to kill the teacher specified in front of students for 'making us work'.

Has your child or their school ever been threatened?

by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 10:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
krisnkids
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 10:34 AM

Kids school has been in lockdown due to a gunman in the area.

An "explosion" occurred when the drum line played a prank on the marching band. It was a few weeks before school started, dd was on the soccer field. The school and subsequently the entire county of schools was placed on lockdown.

ame4c
by Group Admin on Oct. 8, 2015 at 11:37 AM
Yep and it was blown all out of proportion because it was made by a kid that was mentally immature (basically didn't know what he was saying). They scared the kid so bad that when the police went to arrest him, he went into his bedroom and killed himself. It was awful and could have been avoided in so many different ways.
grneyedormom
by Kendra on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:10 PM
Yes, actually an unsubstantiated threat was made at multiple schools including my child's school for today. Local
Police have increased their presence at those schools to ensure the safety and security of the students and parents.
kjdama
by Kira on Oct. 8, 2015 at 10:09 PM

I work at an elementary school. Last spring, we had two threats. One was discovered to be a 5th grader and a 3rd grader who were just playing a game. There was no real threat in that one, but the boys were disciplined accordingly. Then a month later, our school was one of approximately 300 that recieved a phone call stating that there was a shooter on the roof of the school who was going to shoot up the kids as they came out of school. We were in the middle of a jog-a-thon and had to go on lockin. We were on lockin for about 2 hours, but were able to release the kids on time, albeit one grade at a time and through the main door. The scariest part of that was that I ended up being asked to help deliver messages to teachers from the office, and at one point I wasn't allowed down one hall by the SWAT team that was checking the building. Teachers were not sure what to do becasue we never practiced a lock in, just a lockdown. The next day during our debriefing, we were told a lock in is just lock the doors, close the windows and draw the curtains closed, but continue as much as possible with lessons. A lockdown is lock the doors, close the windows, draw the curtains closed, turn off the lights, stay quiet and hide.  The next week we found out that it was an automated prank call that about 300 schools recieved at the same time in OR, WA, and CA. To this day I don't think they have been able to trace the call and find out who did that.

SwitchbladeMama
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2015 at 8:00 AM

No, but some of the public schools around here have had lockdowns.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)