Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Electric Bills

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:13 PM
  • 5 Replies

Is there anything to the conspiracy theory about electricity bills? Do you guys feel like even if you cut back the company still charges you an unofficial average of what your usage is?

I'm kind of on the fence about it, but when I first moved in to my unit it had been vacant for a month or so...and the 2nd bill I got was for a high amount. My downstairs neighbor, same thing happened to her.

What is your experience?

by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
krisnkids
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2015 at 8:31 AM

At my old house I seriously thought someone was stealing my electricity. Especially the first year, omg, 400+ dollar electric bill? Well the reason it was ridiculously high was the fact that there was no insulation under the floor, you could see light through the door jambs, the inuslation in the attic? OMG, look at the picture below. Yes, that is styrofoam. I put a thermometer in my bathroom one morning, it registered 38 degrees. In a nutshell, the house sucked, it was old, poorly maintained and the owners didn't give a shit.

You can call the gas company and find out what the normal bills are for your unit. I highly suggest doing that for any house that you are looking at to rent or buy. Lesson learned on my part.

RonaH
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2015 at 9:12 AM

I had that issue in one house  we tried everything to figure out why. The house was not proberly insulated it had to be. I mean we were extremely careful. We ended up moving out because it was impossible to  maintain the high bill average.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Oct. 9, 2015 at 9:19 AM

My friend had this issue in an apartment she was renting. It was a building converted to 6 apartments. She found out it was the wiring. Everyone was being charged for electricity for the whole building not the amount they were using.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 9, 2015 at 10:05 AM

Actually in my apartment I notice a big difference say in winter compared to summer and also when I don't have to use heat or A/C. I feel its pretty resonable, but this place was remodled right before I moved in and seems to have excellent insulation. Most of the time without using A/C or heat my apartment stays right around 76 which is good for me. When I use A/C I have it set at 78 anyway and it barely has to kick on. I have heat set to 76 though to keep it about that and so far it hasn't kicked on even though we have been having some chilly days. I think the biggest thing is making sure your place is insulated properly (which if you rent is up to the landlord)

When I was married, the trailer me and my ex had, we found out that instead of using heat tape on the pipes below in winter, the landlord had our vent opened to direct down to the pipes so we were paying to send air basically outside to heat our pipes below the trailer...we had $300 electric bills for a small trailer...I was so pissed. Because of that we struggled financially and eventually couldn't pay rent and got kicked out...

Shai4710
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2015 at 11:55 AM
Electric companies only care about money and the more they can charge you the better they like it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)