Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Opinions? -been a while, a lot going on lately.-

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

Ok, so here's the thing. My family swears that my friend likes me. We just started hanging out more, but it's not on a very regular basis. We talk alot and all, and the last couple of times we've hung out he's made mention of "why he doesn't have a girlfriend."  and given his reasons. I don't agree with these girl's logic and what have you, and yes, he's younger than me. My mom swears he likes me and thinks he's going to make a move soon, but i don't know. I mean i like him, a lot, but at the same time i just really like his company. we're comfortable talking and hanging out.  My mom says that him mentioning things like that is his way of phishing for information.  But honestly, i don't know. I'm not the kind of girl to put anyone on the spot, especially myself.  I've been divorced for over a year now, and my mom thinks it's been long enough (even though it's MY life...not hers.) 

Is my mom right? is he just talking to me more and getting my opinons on things before making a decision to ask me out or not, or is she dilusional and wanting me to get with him?  OR does she have a valid point in her 'observations'?  

I like him, but i am scared of losing his friendship too...you can pm me if you want to know more details about our coversations.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2016 at 10:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Feb. 6, 2016 at 10:48 PM

Just keep him as a friend. If he wants something serious you will know if he is the one and if you are ready. Your Mother just wants what many want for their adult children. But you are the only one who will know when you are ready for another relationship.

anchorgurl
by on Feb. 7, 2016 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this

You're overthinking this.  If he wants to make a move at some point, he will.  If this guy is a good friend, that's okay, too.  If someone tells me why they are not in a relationship, I would think they are telling me why they don't want to be in a relationship and respect that is their decision--not that they are weaving some elaborate web, which is what it seems like your mom is doing.

Also, your mom might have your best interests at heart (at least in her mind) but you will know when you are ready to start seeing someone again.  

amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2016 at 12:42 PM

Your mom could be right, but if you're not interested in more than friendship, I'm sure you've made it clear.

jessi2girls
by on Feb. 7, 2016 at 12:54 PM
he likes you, but if you aren't into him you need to be upfront.. if you just aren't ready to get back in the field(which sounds more like the issue).. then swing that into a conversation and let it go for now..
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 7, 2016 at 3:01 PM

Friends talk about that kind of stuff all the time.  It doesn't necessarily mean anything, but you'd have to ask to be sure!  I don't think you can really tell if he's fishing from what you've said.

Whether it's been "long enough" is up to you - not your mother.

If you don't want to risk losing the friendship, then clarify with him your intentions sooner rather than later.  You can do this indirectly if you're not wanting to blatantly ask him what he's up to.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 7, 2016 at 3:26 PM

You aren't really for a relationship if you are questioning it so stop seeing him. 

Do you live with your mom or what, is she trying to get rid of you?  I mean what is it her business about your dang love life.  confused

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 7, 2016 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I would just be friends and take it slow. Esp if you don't wanna lose his friendship. A relationship that goes south would likely ruin you guys being friends still too. Only you know when you're ready to get yourself back out there. Your mom is probably just wanting to see you happy. Good luck.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 7, 2016 at 3:44 PM
I agree with your mom .

He wants to make sure that you know he IS 100 % available :)
Pooge
by on Feb. 7, 2016 at 11:24 PM
Men I am never sure about...if your good friends he should say it or you should know..
paxtonsunny
by on Feb. 7, 2016 at 11:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Just keep the friendship going as it is. If he likes you romantically, you will know, that's for sure.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)