Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Drop from FT to PT work?

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 12:24 AM
  • 10 Replies

So, I've been divorced now going on 6 months, and separated well over a year.  I thought things were coming into balance and some sense of normalcy when I was blessed with a FT job opportunity.  It is at a great place, good benefits, etc.  However, I'm away from my little ones (3 under the age of 6) almost 10 hours/day.  Besides that, the daycare bill is ENORMOUS!!!

Aside from being divorced from a N, my littles seem to be clingy after spending time with my X and also there have been anger issues, clingy-ness, nightmares, etc.  I am receiving child support from him, but am currently under a possible modification b/c of my change of job.

My eldest pleads with me not to go and she seems to be having issues eating, at times, seems anxious, etc.

I'm wondering: has anyone ever gone back from FT work to PT to be there for your children?  How did the transition go?  Did you have to get gov't assistance?  Is it a wise step?  Who has been-there-done-that?  What's your story?  There's more behind this synopsis of my story, but any input is so appreciated.

I have a lot of faith that God is watching out for us, and He's never let us down with our needs.  I'm concerned about my children's well being and not one day having regrets that I "could have" done things differently...

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to respond!

by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 12:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:50 AM
It was not by choice. I got fired after working at a job for five years. I made a mistake, a big mistake and was fired because of it.
I was out of work for six months, finally I was able to get a part time job working with special education kids and now I am working two part time jobs - one is in the daycare part of a gym (I bring my little ones to work with me) and the other is in a middle school cafeteria.
I do like my work hours, being able to spend more time with my boys, and being off work when they are out of school.
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Mar. 11, 2016 at 8:37 AM

The changes can make children like this. some family counseling can help everyone adjust.

Oliviasmom72
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 9:51 AM

If you go on govt assitance they are going to go after your ex for support. You should not go from ft to pt if you cannot afford it. You will lose all your benefits then tax payers get to pay for your kids and your ex gets to pay likely even more support. Does he pay anything now? Is your day care bill split? I guess you have to look at whether or not it is financially worth it for you to work full time, without assistance. Can you work at home? Some companies do work at home. If you have a little home office set up, a good computer and high speed internet you can apply with several companies.

ame4c
by Group Admin on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:22 AM
I've never had the option. I have always been the bread winner and my x doesn't pay CS regularly. You can not count on CS to be there when you need it. If you cannot afford to live without full-time then you shouldn't drop to part-time. However you have to balance that between what you make and what you pay in child care. I made enough to cover childcare and it was way easier once the kids were in school and could attend after school activities and programs. I work from home now but my little guys aren't so little anymore. My youngest will be 16 this year.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 3:53 PM

I went from fulltime with weird hours, to fulltime with even worse hours, then found a job closer to home, but it was only part time and the pay wasn't the same as the fulltime... then I found a fulltime with the same pay per hour as the part time. I gave up pay so that I could be there for my son because no one else was there.... his dad not only stepped away from the marriage, but away from him completely. There are days I wish I kept the first job because despite the hours, the pay was much nicer and had benefits. Im still on a search for that job with the perfect pay and perfect hours... they aren't easy to find (having all this trouble with jobs does mean that now I do qualify for assistance, I never wanted to be in that position and plan to make it as short of a stay in the system as I can (I should only need help with housing).

My ex not only isn't paying court ordered support (yes he has been reported, but left the state), but isn't paying the marital debt either so that has put me in an even tougher position. I will probably end up refinancing the debt in just my name to avoid my credit going to crap..... I want it in writing from the judge that I can continue to fight for the debt even if it is just in my name as Im only changing it to protect my credit and my livelyhood.

loquaciousred
by Member on Mar. 12, 2016 at 6:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I was considering it with my current job...we have never had layoffs...but if we did pt people would be the first to go. It isn't a risk I can take...so ill continue ft. But had I gone pt I would not have needed govt. assistance.
Chrissla
by on Mar. 12, 2016 at 9:03 PM
2 moms liked this

I was working 2 jobs while I was with my ex (a big factor in the split) and continued to for a while after we separated. But after a while I realized even though I was making a lot of money and paying off my debts super fast I was completely miserable because I missed my little guy and he wasn't enjoying it so much either. I quit one of my jobs and now we have to be super careful about our budgeting but we get by without gov assistance and we aren't going hungry.

For me personally it was the best decision I ever made. I wish I had done it sooner.

lalaballet
by on May. 23, 2016 at 11:59 PM
It's a bit late as I'm normally in another group but I went from almost full time to working at home mostly. I still work some but will quit when number five is here, and I do raise them alone.
loquaciousred
by Member on May. 25, 2016 at 11:16 PM

I've considered this. The money isn't the problem...nor are the benefits. The issue is that sadly as awesome as my company is...they don't value their PT employees as much as the FT ones. So my job wouldn't have the security it does now. So I work full time. Luckily I have the option to work from home, so I've been doing that and plan to for the next 7ish years. Unless I win tonight's powerball, HAHAHAHAHAHA

loquaciousred
by Member on May. 25, 2016 at 11:17 PM

HAHA....I've already replied to this!!! Sorry!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)