Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thinking about relocating to texas or florida

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 5:20 PM
  • 22 Replies
Hey single mom's, I'm thinking about relocating in the near future to start over, cuz my hometown sux, no career advancement, can't find jobs, the auto insurance premiums are high as hell...my family and I are not close they blame me for drama, (not true!) I looked at cedar park, Texas and maybe Florida. Will visit cedar park, tx
by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 5:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Oct. 27, 2016 at 5:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Where do you live now? Do you live with family? What type of work do you do?
I'm in Virginia outside of DC, plenty of job opportunities but cost of living is high unless someone wants to do a long commute.
AnewMom225
by Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 5:45 PM
I live in the south, but I had an aunt that lived in Virginia for yrs before she moved back home to be near us. Well I'm working in retail I'm trying to get out of it....thinking about going to school for a trade!

Quoting virginiamama71: Where do you live now? Do you live with family? What type of work do you do?

I'm in Virginia outside of DC, plenty of job opportunities but cost of living is high unless someone wants to do a long commute.
diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Oct. 27, 2016 at 5:54 PM
Bump
idomatter
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2016 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like a bag of several things going on

1) Your hometown, your family, you're not close, no heartbreak there if you move and maybe some distance will ease the stress of them blaming you for shit.

2) Your work. Retail sucks and the pay sucks. If that's what you're qualified to do, you won't earn much more than $10/hr wherever you move to. You mentioned schooling; maybe you can get that thought process going on what you can do without any formal education to earn more. The paralegal I work with makes $40,000/year and she came from retail/bookkeeping background and no formal education. She got picked up by a lawyer 15 years ago that taught her the gig.

3) Cedar Park, Texas is near Austin and would certainly be a nice place to live. I'm in San Antonio and my hometown is Houston. I'm getting ready to relocate myself back to Houston for better job opportunities in my paralegal career. I even went to school for two years for the degree, but you still have to understudy and learn the gig before you can ask for more money.

Have you checked out pay/rent prices in Cedar Park and Florida? Relocating is tough; you need a job set up to get a place, and you need a place to move to before you pack up where you're at.

Good luck with that, I hope the move brings you the prosperity and peace you seek.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Oct. 28, 2016 at 11:50 AM
I hope it works out for you.

Quoting AnewMom225: I live in the south, but I had an aunt that lived in Virginia for yrs before she moved back home to be near us. Well I'm working in retail I'm trying to get out of it....thinking about going to school for a trade!
Quoting virginiamama71: Where do you live now? Do you live with family? What type of work do you do?

Oliviasmom72
by Silver Member on Oct. 28, 2016 at 12:24 PM

I would start applying for jobs and get employment first. Texas esp Austin much of it has mild weather and a good economy. Florida you are going to deal with weather and humidity.

If you have no family support, and the father of the kids wil lnot fight you, then move if you feel you need the change. How old are your kids? Remember you need to consider schools, how the kids will get to and from, daycare if needed or if one of the kids is sick and cant go to school. It is hard starting over. does your kids dad not help at all?

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Mommy2Bri425
by on Oct. 28, 2016 at 7:33 PM

I've never been to Cedar Park but I have lived in Texas. Killeen and Houston. Abilene when I was a child but I don't remember 99% of it. I love Texas. I was planning on moving back this year but decided against it. I am moving to Florida. I need to pinpoint which city exactly but I know we'll be in the pandhandle. I look forward to it. Good luck on your move. 

Glitch202
by on Oct. 30, 2016 at 7:06 PM

I will tell you now that the laws in Texas are slanted toward the mans favor.  Be careful.

AnewMom225
by Member on Nov. 8, 2016 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Hey @Idomatter, I liked Houston, I went here 13 years ago in high school. Lots to do there, yeah I plan To go back to school next year for phlebotomy.
But I will plan to visit cedar park, tx probably next year! Yeah retail sux, but my family they dysfunctional but I need change.

Quoting idomatter:

Sounds like a bag of several things going on

1) Your hometown, your family, you're not close, no heartbreak there if you move and maybe some distance will ease the stress of them blaming you for shit.

2) Your work. Retail sucks and the pay sucks. If that's what you're qualified to do, you won't earn much more than $10/hr wherever you move to. You mentioned schooling; maybe you can get that thought process going on what you can do without any formal education to earn more. The paralegal I work with makes $40,000/year and she came from retail/bookkeeping background and no formal education. She got picked up by a lawyer 15 years ago that taught her the gig.

3) Cedar Park, Texas is near Austin and would certainly be a nice place to live. I'm in San Antonio and my hometown is Houston. I'm getting ready to relocate myself back to Houston for better job opportunities in my paralegal career. I even went to school for two years for the degree, but you still have to understudy and learn the gig before you can ask for more money.

Have you checked out pay/rent prices in Cedar Park and Florida? Relocating is tough; you need a job set up to get a place, and you need a place to move to before you pack up where you're at.

Good luck with that, I hope the move brings you the prosperity and peace you seek.

AnewMom225
by Member on Nov. 8, 2016 at 11:11 AM
@glitch202, are you serious?

Quoting Glitch202:

I will tell you now that the laws in Texas are slanted toward the mans favor.  Be careful.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)