Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Feeling like I am going crazy! 3 under 6

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2016 at 9:39 PM
  • 6 Replies
I'm a newly single, young, very young mom of 3; ages 5, 3, and 10 months. I work and goto school full time in order to support my little family. Their father takes them almost half of the time. When they are gone I am constantly missing them and will usually clean the house and have a surprise or something fun to do when they get home. Lately I have felt my patience wearing pretty thin. My five year old daughter constantly instigates her 3 yr old brother to either act up, or make him jealous. When in the store, she will act like an orangutan, as well as my son. I feel like they are constantly whining and refuse to listen to anything I ask them. At times my son is the sweetest little boy, but majority of the time he does whatever he wants and can be a real little stinker. I feel at times my 5 yr old has a hard time controlling herself, including things she says. I am just feeling so overwhelmed and frustrated as a mom right now. Any advice of suggestions from moms who have been in this situation or can relate would be so very much appreciated!
by on Dec. 11, 2016 at 9:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mama_danielle
by on Dec. 11, 2016 at 9:42 PM

Most importantly, I want to have a healthy relationship with my kids. I want them to be able to talk to me and create happy memories. But I feel that it becomes impossible when I am constantly stressed because they are disobeying or acting up. 

Lindalou907
by Member on Dec. 12, 2016 at 7:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I would look for some parenting classes, you have some strong willed children and a lot to deal with! Do NOT give in to the whining and disobediance, even though in the short term it's easier, the long term will be really bad, and not just for you, for your kids!

rachel216
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2016 at 7:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Maybe you should join a support group in your area?
ame4c
by Group Admin on Dec. 12, 2016 at 9:04 AM
2 moms liked this
I would say use your time away from the kids for yourself instead of cleaning. I know it's probably the only time you feel you have to do the cleaning but your health is more important than an immaculate house. Take a hot bubble bath or read a favorite book, watch a movie. Relax on those days. I use to volunteer at my church to keep my mind off missing the kids. It gave me great friends and kept my mind off missing my kids. It also got me out of the house for a bit. I also was a full-time working momma going to school full-time. It was a hard time but was well worth it.

And let your self know this is very normal too. You are not alone or even the first to travel down this road.
Lindalou907
by Member on Dec. 12, 2016 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

The 5 year old, in particular is probably behaving badly over the divorce, it's not easy for little ones if your ex's parenting is different than yours or he tolerates stuff you don't. Get some childrens books about divorce with good illustrations and read to them a lot. Berenstain Bears books always have a good lesson and are perfect for 5 year olds. See if you can also get your ex to attend parenting classes. Also, always acknowledge their feelings, "You seem very mad right now" "You wish you could have a cookie" "You probably wish you had a mom who always says yes!" Read the book How to talk so kids will listen, and listen so kids will Talk. It's short and quick, and life changing. Hugs! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 12, 2016 at 8:42 PM

It's time to recruit your daughter in being your little helper and make her understand how important her help is to you.  For example in watching her bother or baby by being your eyes and ears at times when you ask her.  Have her help you in the kitchen by handling you things you might need.  So, in other words put her to work with little things around the house to make her feel useful. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)