Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thoughts???

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2017 at 8:17 PM
  • 5 Replies
So my kids father is not involved in their life at all.
Every few years he will send a card to my daughter. He does not acknowledge he has a son so he does not exist in his eyes.
My daughter is 8 and my son is 5. Should I tell my daughter he sent her a card? I don't want my son to feel bad because he did not get a card.

I'm leaning toward not telling my daughter. What are your thoughts??

Thanks for advice in advance:)
by on Jan. 13, 2017 at 8:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Jan. 14, 2017 at 11:15 AM
What did you do with the other cards he sent?
ame4c
by Group Admin on Jan. 14, 2017 at 5:06 PM
I had the same problem with my x. He would take my daughter but refused to take my son. Not much you can do about those items. Your situation is a bit different. I'm not sure I would give her the card either, but when she gets older she will find out and want to know why you didn't give them to her. It may cause stress in your relationship with her. Maybe keep them for her later and then let her have them when she's old enough to understand why you didn't give them to her.

My X lost respect from both my kids by doing what he did. It's strange behavior to favor one kid. It had nothing to do with thinking they weren't his because my son was older. He left us when my son was 10 and my daughter was 5.

So it will eventually work itself out.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 14, 2017 at 8:30 PM

Why does he not acknowledge your son?  Is it the reason for the breakup between you two?

njmommy123
by on Jan. 14, 2017 at 9:11 PM
The last card my daughter got was 2 to 3 years ago. I gave it to her because my son was 3 and didn't know what was going on. Now he is older and beginning to ask questions about his father. Their father has schizophrenia and won't get help. In his psychotic mind, he thinks his son isn't his even though he is court ordered to pay child support for both kids. He is in arrears $50,000. He lives in homeless shelters in NY. He's really sick.
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Jan. 14, 2017 at 9:24 PM
Maybe you can find a support group in your area for families/ children who have parents with mental illness.
Hopefully he will start to get the help he needs.

Quoting njmommy123: The last card my daughter got was 2 to 3 years ago. I gave it to her because my son was 3 and didn't know what was going on. Now he is older and beginning to ask questions about his father. Their father has schizophrenia and won't get help. In his psychotic mind, he thinks his son isn't his even though he is court ordered to pay child support for both kids. He is in arrears $50,000. He lives in homeless shelters in NY. He's really sick.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)