Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"It's my fault"

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2017 at 9:38 PM
  • 22 Replies

Has your child ever expressed to you that they thought it was their fault that your relationship with their other parent didn't work out?

My brother blamed himself for my parents break-up when we were kids (he had zero to do with it).

My daughter thought it was her fault since my ex and I split a couple of weeks before her birthday and had overheard something at some point about something that happened shortly after she was born that did contribute to our split years later, but again it had NOTHING to do with her at all. She's 19 now, and without being told the reasons behind my break-up with her dad she's figured a lot out on her own.

by on Apr. 10, 2017 at 9:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by on Apr. 11, 2017 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't think my DD ever said anything. She know what her bio dad is like... *eye roll
amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2017 at 6:39 PM

How old is your DD?

Quoting goddess99: I don't think my DD ever said anything. She know what her bio dad is like... *eye roll

goddess99
by on Apr. 11, 2017 at 7:11 PM
1 mom liked this
She's 14 and her dad has been absent on and off since I was pregnant.

Quoting amonkeymom:

How old is your DD?

Quoting goddess99: I don't think my DD ever said anything. She know what her bio dad is like... *eye roll

Karen24
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2017 at 2:33 PM
My kids have never blamed themselves for their dad's absence from their home and lives. They know what he has done and why they can't see him. It is what it is.
mikesmom65270
by on Apr. 12, 2017 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think mine ever did, at least never expressed such to me.

cjsmom1
by Group Admin on Apr. 14, 2017 at 8:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Ds has never said anything to me about it
alexsmommy51405
by Member on Apr. 14, 2017 at 11:11 AM

No. 

I sat down my oldest child and explained that it's not his fault, to never think it's his fault. My youngest is 4, I'll explain to him when the time comes. 

RocknRoll.Rose
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2017 at 4:12 PM

That's pretty normal. Kids don't understand so it is their natural insticnt to blame themselves. I'm with my youngest child's father but my 3 older kids don't have a father and they never have. It isn't their fault and I hope they understand that.

Dawnie-marie
by Dawn on Apr. 15, 2017 at 7:45 AM
1 mom liked this
My kids don't know anything different. They are happy with just the three of us. They know he loves them.
amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 15, 2017 at 10:37 AM

So she's never lived any other way then.

Quoting goddess99: She's 14 and her dad has been absent on and off since I was pregnant.
Quoting amonkeymom:

How old is your DD?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)