Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

thinking about going back to school

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this

So im thinking about pursuing an accounting degree. Anyon else here go back to school? How did you make it all work, kids, jobs, school, life? Im nervous but its something ive always wanted to do. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks ladies.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 8, 2017 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsmom1
by Group Admin on Aug. 8, 2017 at 7:20 PM
I went to school full-time and worked part-time when ds was younger. It wasn't easy but I did it.
Make you find time to study and do homework
amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 7:47 PM

I haven't gone back, but I think it's a great idea! If I wasn't pushing 50, I probably would go back to school as well.

Sissy-Smurf
by Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 8:49 PM

Considering you're a single mother, if you are able to go to school AND hold down a job -- I say go for it. Of course it's not going to be easy, not by any means.. But, the thing is, there's a lot of mothers out there who thinks oh, I don't want to go to work, so I'll just go back to school. They get those loan checks every three months or so so why not?? 

The way I think about school is after you've had child(ren) -- you should only go back IF you are going to work ALSO. If you are a single mother and plan to give up a job TO go back to school, you'll too old for that. Your responsibilities shifted as soon as you peed on the pregnancy stick and turned it pink. 

But since you added JOBS in there, I'd say that isn't going to be you so I say work hard, do not lose motivation, and do it! You'll do great!! You're going to get tired and worn down but you can do it. 

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Aug. 8, 2017 at 9:52 PM
Try to get a job in the field you're going to study in and if they have one use their tuition program.
TigerofMu
by on Aug. 14, 2017 at 8:44 AM

Don't take on more than you can handle.  Even if it means one or two classes at a time so that you can work and have family time, you'll get there eventually.  Take any help that is offered, whether there are work study programs, school daycare programs, financial assistance, family or friends you can lean on...you don't have to do it alone.

Oliviasmom72
by Gold Member on Aug. 14, 2017 at 11:24 AM

I woldnt do it if it means taking out student loans. Too many people get in trouble with them. If you pay as you go I think its a great idea. Seems like a good field esp if you are good at math.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 14, 2017 at 1:44 PM

Thanks for the encouraging words, im scared but excited to be doing this, im planning on starting in January 2018.

CoLLeGeMoM214
by Member on Aug. 16, 2017 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm in nursing school and work 2 jobs. I go into one job every other weekend when they go with dad and during the week they go to a regular daycare. I am in hybrid so my classes are mostly online.otherwise it would never work because I wouldn't be able to work and I have mortgage electricity etc. I worked 3 jobs this summer. The plan was to save up but I had to use it to pay for my classes. So that was a bummer bit I only have 2 semesters left. Study when they sleep. Find a job that you can do your hw and studt and stuff at. That was the best thing for me. But I'm at 2 new jobs this semester so we will see how it goes. I mean you just have to make it work. I wouldn't be able to do it without my mom and others help.
johnny4ever
by on Aug. 17, 2017 at 3:28 PM

Congrats...been thinking about it also.

mama2b100808
by on Aug. 17, 2017 at 3:30 PM
That is wonderful! If that is what you want to do I say go for it!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)