Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Social Media

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies
I've decided to deactivate my facebook, and snapchat accounts for awhile. Since I'm currently single and not in the stage of my life most of my friends seem to be, logging on and seeing their wonderful lives ends up causing me to feel depressed because I cant help but compare my life. I'm hoping to be able to stay off those sites for at least 3 months. For those of you on here that have other social media accounts(besides this one obviously), have you ever deactivated your account? If so, why and for how long? Just curious.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 24, 2017 at 5:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Featured Replies
amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 8:19 PM

I haven't. 

I've never really felt the need, at least not since I joined social media. I don't feel jealous of my friends/loved ones who are getting married or having babies, I'm truly happy where I am in my own life. 

Now, when I see pictures of amazing vacations, that's a different story. But, I just live vicariously through them. ;)

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Sep. 24, 2017 at 5:38 PM
I only have Facebook and never deactivated my account.
If people are overwhelmed with social media they have to do what's best for them.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 24, 2017 at 5:40 PM
I agree.

Quoting virginiamama71: I only have Facebook and never deactivated my account.
If people are overwhelmed with social media they have to do what's best for them.
PaddyWhack
by New Member on Sep. 24, 2017 at 6:10 PM
2 moms liked this

I did it all the time  for similar reasons. It would just get to me in a way I wasn't feeling good about myself so I'd step away. I've gone from days and weeks to months. However long it took to get out of the mental rut.

Oliviasmom72
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 10:01 AM

I love FB and am on it too much. Too much political garbage and hate too. I deactivated it for a month several years ago when some major drama unfolded with a guy I was dating and a friend he cheated on me with. My friend and I have alot of mutual friends. FB overall is garbage and not a true reflection of most people's lives. Everyone has shit in their life they don't air. They only post the good and the facade they want you to see. Remember that. Don't compare yourself.

I am single, still and its hard to look at wedding and engagement pics esp from my former step daughter and I am not even invited to the wdding-my ex (her Dad) is not even going, either are our kids. Major drama. So I have unbfollowed her on FB and IG. Seems like everyone is in a relationship but me.

fullxbusymom
by Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 10:03 AM
Nope and never will. However, do what you need to do.
deltathree
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 1:39 PM
Facebook can be a double-edged sword for me sometimes. Do what you got to do
cjsmom1
by Group Admin on Sep. 25, 2017 at 8:05 PM

I am on facebook all the time. I never deactivated my account. If you're feeling down about what's on there just don't go on. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 25, 2017 at 8:14 PM
I deactivated fb a long time ago. Sometimes I'll get on but it's only for a few minutes. I actually found out two people I knew passed away that way- they were gone for months before I found out. I think it's been over a year now.

I technically have 3 instagram accounts- one for people I know irl (all 2 of them), the other for famous people (like teen mom people, Michelle Rodriguez, etc), and my other one which is my true one but it's completely private, no friends and I can be honest in it, kinda like a diary.
amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 8:19 PM

I haven't. 

I've never really felt the need, at least not since I joined social media. I don't feel jealous of my friends/loved ones who are getting married or having babies, I'm truly happy where I am in my own life. 

Now, when I see pictures of amazing vacations, that's a different story. But, I just live vicariously through them. ;)

kendral23
by on Oct. 13, 2017 at 6:18 PM

I once deactiveated my account in college for about a few months. As others have written, many social media accounts portray only what we want them to portray. No one puts up photos of what we look like waking up in the morning, or of the argument we just had, or what we look like at our worst. Unfortunately, we only show people what we want them to see. Your life is on a different path than that of anyone else. I encourage you to learn how to be grateful where you're at with what you have, and continue to hope and pray you receive what is good. A husband or wife won't make you happy if you don't know what it takes to be in a relationship. Are you ready to be self-less and consider their needs before your own? I'm single and trust me, I know that it comes with it's own struggles. But you know what? I've learned that I'm not ready for that kind of relationship, and instead, focus on loving those already in my life. For example, I've learned to shower love on my family on valentines day. Filling the holes in your heart yearning for what other people have can be a disaster. You never know what their life is really like behind closed doors.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)