Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question on how to be helpful to a family with single mom despite being in different cities

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2017 at 11:12 AM
  • 5 Replies

I used to babysit for a family of three daughters, right after the father of the family passed away (I never met him unfortunately). It's been a few years since the job ended, and the oldest is already in college, but we've stayed in good touch / are still friends. However, I'm no longer in the same city as the family, and I'm wondering if there are those who might have ideas on how to be still helpful for the family despite the distance. I do some of the more obvious things like sending birthday / holiday gifts, the occasional box of cookies, etc. If I were in the same city I would probably still help out by occasionally walking the dog, taking the kids somewhere fun to give the mom time of her own, etc., but unfortunately with the distance those things aren't possible. Does anyone have any ideas on what little things I still might be able to do beside what I already mentioned above to help out? Doesn't necessarily have to be big things, even small little things that might be helpful here and there would be appreciated!

by on Nov. 9, 2017 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Nov. 9, 2017 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Phone calls just to say Hi can make people happy.
amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2017 at 11:36 AM

Calls, texts, emails. Gift cards for dinner or special treats (like a pedicure for mom or ice cream for the kids). 

deltathree
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2017 at 2:40 PM
I agree great ideas.

Quoting amonkeymom:

Calls, texts, emails. Gift cards for dinner or special treats (like a pedicure for mom or ice cream for the kids). 

cjsmom1
by Group Admin on Nov. 20, 2017 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Just by being there you're doing a lot. A simple phone call to check in or a giftcard to do something as a family
deltathree
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2017 at 11:15 PM
Again, gift cards gift cards gift cards. Did you come up with any other ideas?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)