Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Air Force joining as a single parent

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
Hey I saw your message it really inspired me I've been looking all over for help on YouTube but couldn't find any ! Here is my situation I am a single parent I want to join the Air Force ! Who would watch my child while I'm away ! My mother said she would do it!

My question....do she get a check while in away for BMT? If I make it that far?

When I go to tech school , will I be allowed to send for my son to come stay with me ?

Will I get a dorm or a housing voucher ?

After tech school , is that when they send you away ? Would I have to leave my child and couldn't bring them that far? Incase I get called and can't watch him while I'm away ?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2018 at 7:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Feb. 2, 2018 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this
A recruiter for the Air Force can help you.
krisnkids
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2018 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

My son is Army, but I can give you some basic info.

Your mom will have to have custody of your child for you to join. After you get through training, you can take it back.

Yes, you will get paid while in basic. You can give your mom access to your bank account if you so choose.

I don't think your son can go to tech school with you, visit? yes.

Housing, if you mom has custody, I'm not sure, but you will probably get bah and it will be based on where your son and mom live.

First duty station, I'm not sure how that will work with a dependent child and mom having custody. You would have to talk toa  recruiter.

While in basic and tech school you would live in barracks, after that, again, up to if they allow you to be a single parent with custody.

If you are deployed, your son would have to stay with mom.

Talk to a recruiter.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 2, 2018 at 3:36 PM
Thank you both for that helpful information !!!! I really appreciate that
cjsmom1
by Group Admin on Feb. 10, 2018 at 8:36 PM
Talk to a recruiter. They can give you all the information you need.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 11, 2018 at 1:25 AM
Why would you leave your child that long, unless the child is older that seems pretty sad. My child would be wrecked if I did that, plus I couldnt leave them. Not like they have a second parent to take over.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 11, 2018 at 2:41 AM

I hate when people, especially mothers, do this to each other. She's not leaving her child. She's making a decision to better her life, which ultimately benefits her child. If making a small sacrifice like this will benefit mom and child in the long run I say she goes for it. If her child is very young, he/she probably won't remember. Her child is not being abandoned, traumatized, or abused...so knock it off.  I'm speaking from experience. I left for basic when my daughter was two. She was fine! Kids are resilient. If OP has a great support system, she needs to take advantage of it. The Air Force could lead to great opportunities. Don't try to make her feel bad for something you're not interested in or wouldn't have the courage to do. 

Quoting Anonymous 2: Why would you leave your child that long, unless the child is older that seems pretty sad. My child would be wrecked if I did that, plus I couldnt leave them. Not like they have a second parent to take over.

Iguessiwasbad13
by Member on Feb. 11, 2018 at 2:48 AM
It used to be you couldn't join as a single parent even if you didn't have custody. I'm not sure of all of the logistics now. I'd be careful about recruiters as there are a lot of slimy one who will lie.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 11, 2018 at 9:32 PM
I understand what your saying but being in the military you are gone, a lot. Not just for training. It’s not always a 9-5, you can get deployed. How could she keep the child on base with her with no partner or husband ? If it was just training then okay, but what happens after training is what matters.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

I hate when people, especially mothers, do this to each other. She's not leaving her child. She's making a decision to better her life, which ultimately benefits her child. If making a small sacrifice like this will benefit mom and child in the long run I say she goes for it. If her child is very young, he/she probably won't remember. Her child is not being abandoned, traumatized, or abused...so knock it off.  I'm speaking from experience. I left for basic when my daughter was two. She was fine! Kids are resilient. If OP has a great support system, she needs to take advantage of it. The Air Force could lead to great opportunities. Don't try to make her feel bad for something you're not interested in or wouldn't have the courage to do. 

Quoting Anonymous 2: Why would you leave your child that long, unless the child is older that seems pretty sad. My child would be wrecked if I did that, plus I couldnt leave them. Not like they have a second parent to take over.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 12, 2018 at 9:27 PM

A lot of mothers do this. When I was younger there was a single mom who moved in across the street from us. Eventually her and my mom hit it off, and my mom was her support system for years. So if a mom is lucky enough, they'll meet others who support them. I know other single parents, and even married couples who moved in another family member to help out. Maybe an older sibling or a parent or who isn't working. Both of my parents were in the military. I remember spending an entire school year with my relatives while both parents were deployed. It's not easy but it's not impossible, and I've never felt any type of way towards my parents for the decisions they made because they ultimately did it for family :-)

Quoting Anonymous 2: I understand what your saying but being in the military you are gone, a lot. Not just for training. It’s not always a 9-5, you can get deployed. How could she keep the child on base with her with no partner or husband ? If it was just training then okay, but what happens after training is what matters.
Quoting Anonymous 3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)