Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WWYD? Babysitter advice

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2018 at 2:31 PM
  • 8 Replies

My oldest niece (ex's niece but still mine too) is 18 years old. She's responsible, has a BF, in her senior year, makes good grades etc. 

Would you have her come over to babysit while I go out everyonce in a while? I'd make sure the kids are asleep and all she would have to do is make sure nothing burns down and if it does she gets the kids out of the house. 

OR 

Would you go with a 'professional' babysitter, like through Care.com or something that's older with references? 

by on Feb. 22, 2018 at 2:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
virginiamama71
by Mom on Feb. 22, 2018 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Give your niece the job.
Oliviasmom72
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2018 at 4:39 PM

Why not hire her? If you trust her and she wants to do it, go for it.

alexsmommy51405
by Member on Feb. 22, 2018 at 4:42 PM

IDK. I've never had to hire a babysitter before. If I need a night off from the kids I can usually take them to my parents for the night. They all love that. 

I'd rather have my niece there, who I do trust, her mom is like 8 miles away in case of emergency and she loves her little cousins. 

Still new to this single mom thing. I don't know what I'm doing half the time. 

Quoting Oliviasmom72:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 23, 2018 at 10:24 AM
I'd give her a try. How old are the kids, and is she comfortable watching them?
IBNeaters
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2018 at 10:56 AM

I had my niece babysit starting at 13 or 14 and the kids didn't have be be asleep first.  

Oliviasmom72
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2018 at 12:34 PM

Well I would have family babysit over a stranger anyday. Good luck!

Quoting alexsmommy51405:

IDK. I've never had to hire a babysitter before. If I need a night off from the kids I can usually take them to my parents for the night. They all love that. 

I'd rather have my niece there, who I do trust, her mom is like 8 miles away in case of emergency and she loves her little cousins. 

Still new to this single mom thing. I don't know what I'm doing half the time. 

Quoting Oliviasmom72:

Summer118
by on Feb. 27, 2018 at 2:13 PM

I would definitely have her babysit! If you trust her and go over everything with her, I think it would be much better than a stranger. And it gives her good experience, too. I have three daughters and they all started babysitting when they were around 15. They were CPR certified for infants and children, which would be a good idea for your niece.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 27, 2018 at 2:46 PM

I would go with your niece. I started babysitting at eleven for neighborhood families when they went out. I would have the neice over someone at Care.com.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)