Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising boys

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2018 at 2:26 PM
  • 5 Replies

How do I do it right? 

How do I raise men, respectful men? 

I can't find a decent non religious parenting book on raising boys/men. 

Does anybody have a suggestion?

by on Mar. 19, 2018 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
TurtleMami
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2018 at 12:46 AM
1 mom liked this
You raise them the same way you would raise a respectful woman. You raise them with love, boundries, expectations, and most importantly, your own respect.
AliciaV99
by on Mar. 23, 2018 at 12:44 AM
I’m right there with u. It’s definitely hard and I do my best everyday. Lately I’ve been getting a lot of attitude from my oldest and have no clue how to correct it. I’ve talked to him punished him nothing seems to get through to him. I mean it does but for maybe a week or so then he’s back to doing what he normally does. I hate being the mean mom but that’s what I’m turning into. My boys need a male role model and I just don’t have that for them right now. Their dad lives in another state and doesn’t even call but maybe once a month if they r lucky. Ugh sorry. But like I said I’m there with u trying to raise men and decent honest respectable ones at that. It’s hard.
IBNeaters
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2018 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this

My son and I have "date nights".  He's 11 now and is starting think that girls aren't so yucky.  So we go out, he opens all the doors, pays the check, etc.  

That's just one thing we do.  Other than that, we talk about different situations that come up at school, at his dad's house and in the media.  He's very empathetic and that's definitely one thing he's got going for him, but it's tough to know for sure until they're grown.  Just keep the conversation going and make sure they know that they can always come to you without judgement.  

HaloSue
by on Mar. 24, 2018 at 9:40 PM
Check out Big Brother organization and some sheriff's departments have tons of things for Children who don't have a parent in their lives.
Our sheriff's department has sort of like a big brother and big sister program and it's absolutely wonderful.
And it's Free. They learn so much and how to be gentleman from a Early age. Ours also has summer camp for the children and those who utilize it say it's out standing.
Call around and ask what programs your County has.
cjsmom1
by Group Admin on Mar. 31, 2018 at 9:07 PM
It isn't easy. My ds will be 13 next month and I question myself everyday about my parenting.
Raise your boys the best way you know how. Raise them with the values and manners you want then to have.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)