Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

am i not really prolife? (kina long)

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2008 at 6:00 PM
  • 6 Replies
so if anybody asks if i'm prolife or prochoice, without hesitation i say prolife 100%... well, the subject came up the other day at work and i say that i am prolife, and this girl says so you think abortion should be illegal.. well, no... then she say you are not really prolife than.. WHAT?  This was totally shocking to me, after all this time it never dawned on me that that makes me prochoice!  I personally do not believe that morally or ethically abortion is right, and i will (and have) tried to talk  friends of mine out of their decisions to have abortions, BUT i do not condem them (or others) for the decision if they make it.  With ALL my heart i do not believe abortion is right and wish that it wasn't an option because every child deserves a life, but i understand that everybody has to face their own demons and don't think anybody has the right to judge them for it... but my question is what does that make me... i'm not really prochoice, but at the same time i'm not 100% die hard prolife either.... just wondering, here i though i was clear on this and now i find that actually i'm in a grey area, anybody else? 
by on Jan. 28, 2008 at 6:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
daniann2002
by on Jan. 28, 2008 at 6:04 PM
i feel the same way so i dont know what that makes me either
spokesmom
by on Jan. 28, 2008 at 6:25 PM
Just my oppinion.....
I think you are right. For your own convictions you say pro-life. But like God, gave us all personal choice we all have the right to choose what is right for us. Even though I personaly don't agree with it I just think that if it was totaly illegal then how many more lives would be taken. With the 'back ally' abortions that were done with coat hangers back in the day many more lives were lost! Don't second guess yourself or think you put the wrong "label" to your convictions. 
alinkaylebsmomm
by on Jan. 28, 2008 at 6:28 PM

DITTO!
Quoting spokesmom:

Just my oppinion.....
I think you are right. For your own convictions you say pro-life. But like God, gave us all personal choice we all have the right to choose what is right for us. Even though I personaly don't agree with it I just think that if it was totaly illegal then how many more lives would be taken. With the 'back ally' abortions that were done with coat hangers back in the day many more lives were lost! Don't second guess yourself or think you put the wrong "label" to your convictions. 
tink929
by on Jan. 28, 2008 at 7:06 PM

ProChoice does NOT mean Pro-abortion.  There is a HUGE difference.  Without getting into a huge debate, most pro-choicers will tell you that they don't believe that abortion is a good thing - however, they feel that a woman has a right to choose what happens to her own body. 

Being Pro-choice isn't a bad thing, or mean that you have low morals, or that you are encouraging women to have abortions.  (Unless, of course, you are talking to a pro-lifer *wink*)

If you believe that a woman has a right to choose, regardless of your personal opinions about abortion, you would be considered Prochoice.

arinbidi
by on Jan. 29, 2008 at 10:35 AM
I am pro-life but I do not think abortion should be illegal either. It's not that I respect someone's right to kill a baby. It's because if it is made illegal, people will find ways to do it anyway. It will be the kind of dirty secret coat hanger thing that kills people. Making abortion illegal sounds great in theory but I don't think people really think of the ramifications. Murder and rape and robbery are illegal as well but people still do it. Just because you make a law doesn't mean people won't break it. If someone is determined not to have a child then they are going to find a way to get rid of it. This does not make me pro-choice in any way. It just makes me a realist instead of some whack job standing outside the abortion clinic with posters of aborted babies to flash in some poor girl's face.
chel1023
by on Jan. 29, 2008 at 12:33 PM
Well the question of abortion is kind of a grey area to begin with.  There are so many what ifs that can play into it.  I would call myself prolife, but I know people who have had abortions and I do not condemn them for their choice,  I know I could never do it though.  Then you get questions like, what if carrying the baby to full term would cause the mother to die and possibly the baby, or what if the baby will be born with a brth defect that will only allow him or her to survive for a short period of time, what if a woman was raped and got pregnant?  All of these possibilities play into it.  To me I wouldn't get an abortion regardless of any of these circumstances, but others might and I won't judge them for deciding to have an abortion.  It's not my place to judge, every circumstance is different and every person is different.  You are not alone when it comes to this subject, it is very controversal. 
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)