Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

First Post...But in huge financial trouble due to childsupport!

Posted by on May. 26, 2007 at 9:00 AM
  • 13 Replies
Hello,

I am the mother of an amzaing 9 year old little boy! We are fortunate that his father does play a very active role in his life, (even if he is on wife #3). In the 5 years since our divorce, my ex has been late on child support only once, (and it's not court ordered, we came up with the figure on our own). But now, we have a big problem. See, he's a writer and he is paid by what he writes that is published. And his last book has not done well. So now he's saying that it could be August before he can pay me for June and July....$525 a month each! That means we have to try and live without over $1000 of our income!!
What do I do? How can I make up that money? Please, any suggestions would help!
Janie
by on May. 26, 2007 at 9:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HayleysMama1225
by on May. 28, 2007 at 8:03 PM
im so sorry that's happening to you! i dont know if my advice will be great, but ill tell you what i would do if it were me...
1. is that a court order that he wouldnt be able to pay you because his book didnt do well? or is he just telling you that himself? i dont know what your exact situtaion is with him, but if you guys have a court order, isn't he obligated to pay? it wouldnt be YOU living without 1000 of your income...it would be HIM. he has a child...regardless of his book, his child is alive and has to eat, have a roof over their head, etc...i am pretty sure he is obligated to pay each month, despite things like that.
2. would your parents be able to help you? i know that if i was ever in a financial struggle i could go to my mom...even if she didnt want to actually GIVE me the money, i could borrow it from her and then pay her back, ya know? is there a way to do that?
3. extra hours at work? is that possible? even smaller side jobs for the month like babysitting? i know in the summer i will babysit sometimes just to get SOME extra money.
i really hope that everything works out for you guys...plz keep us posted!
jadensmommy912
by on May. 29, 2007 at 4:58 PM
So sorry to hear about your problem. Believe it or not I have a hard time getting court ordered child support!!! Sometimes my son doesn't get half of what he's supposed to get each month. Things really got tough when I got hurt at work and later lost that job. No one wants to hire a 40 year old single parent who was hurt on their previous job. I decided to look into home based businesses. I recently joined a company that seems to have great potential with very little start up and a money back guarantee.
Just be sure to do your homework before you join any home based business.
Best of luck and keep your head up!
jrzygrl15
by on May. 30, 2007 at 10:12 PM

I agree with the first post , it is now time to tkae him to court. He must make payments your child cannot wait for a book to come to him. I know you may not want to rock the boat, but this may get ugly if you do not take action for your child. I get my money every 1st and 15th of the month electronically into my checking account without fail. my ex does not like jail.
you are only asking to have the necessary money for your child do not feel guilty about getting it.

tallgurl
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:48 PM

it will cost you at least 1,000 to take him to court.  Live simple.  Cut cable and any extras.  http://cashmoneylife.com/25-ways-i-save-money/ Don't eat out. 

Oliviasmom72
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:40 PM
1 mom liked this
The best advice I can give you is not to depend on support. Work overtime. Get a part time second job. Start cutting out the gym. Your landline. Cable tv.
breebree04
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:04 AM

You can take him to court but the fact is, if hes not making any money your not ganna get child support whether its court ordered or not. Sure it will go to arrears so eventually you will get the money but it wont do you any good right now unless you think hes lying about not having the money but if hes never had court ordered cs and hes always paid it then chances are hes not lying. You will just have to make cut backs in the meantime. Like some of the other posters said no phone, no cable, cut grocery bill wherever you can, no eating out, ect........

Pink.Sunshine
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:22 AM

I'm sorry but you should've gotten a court order. Your children have to be financially taken care of whether his books sell or not. He needs to get himself a salaried job on the side for when his books don't do well. There's no way I would've ever depended on someone w/o a salaried job and no Child support order, to pay on time everytime. There's no way. If I were you, I'd go get an order and never ever depend on Child support. If you're not working, you need to be.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:07 AM

this

Quoting Oliviasmom72:

The best advice I can give you is not to depend on support. Work overtime. Get a part time second job. Start cutting out the gym. Your landline. Cable tv.

Robsessed98
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Actually its his responsibility to find the money, not yours. It's not right for him to leave you screwed because of him, but that's what happens sometimes. Do you work? If not, find a temp job. There are work at home jobs, but don't sign up for one that requires you to spend any money on. Do you have anything to sell? Can you get a loan from someone? Payday or title loans work if you're really stuck, but its hard the next couple of months when you have to pay them back. That's all I've got. Sorry. Hope it works out.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
a06z08mama
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Anybody realize this post is from 2007?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)