Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Day care dilema

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2007 at 1:33 PM
  • 2 Replies
I am a single mother of a 15 month old baby girl.  I work full time outside the home, and take some college classes online.  Obviously, I have no choice but to put my daughter in daycare during the days.  She has now been in two seperate day cares.  I pulled her out of the first one when she was 5 months old becuase I had some troubles with the nursery people not giving her the care she needed.  Now she is in a new one and she has been there for about 6 months.  Everything was fine until they moved her into the toddler room.  I have big problems with one of her teachers.  One day I went to pick my daughter up and they were outside playing.  The teacher told me that she was pooped but hadn't done anything about it.  I took my daughter into the room to change her and of course she had a rash.  Strike one.  The next day I went to pick up my daughter and the teacher was changing a child on the changing table.  I got my daughter's stuff and asked her where her sippy cup was.  She walked away from the child on the changing table and just left him laying there while she went to look for my daughter's cup, instead of just telling me where it was.  The child promptly stood up on the changing table and i rushed over and stood beside him so he wouldnt fall.  What if no one would have been there to catch him, and what if it would have been my child.  Strike two.  Yesterday I went to pick her up and they were outside again, my daughter was sitting in the grass by herself bawling.  The teacher was compeltely ignoring her until she saw me walking over and then she tried to go and pick her up and make her stop.  I was pissed!  I think I got a little ugly with the teacher about it, but enough is enough already!!  I told the assistant director about the last instance and she told me she would talk to her about it.  Am I being too picky?  I jsut want the best care for my child and I know my standards are high, but I am a pretty reasonable person and can let the little things slide, but I feel like this woman just shouldnt be taking care of children.  What should I do??
by on Jul. 12, 2007 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
TSPMommy04
by on Jul. 12, 2007 at 4:08 PM

I take my son to a regular inhome daycare i think they get taken care of better but that's just my opinion, my friend used to work at child time and saw some kids not even getting attention or checked on. I am very picky and i would take my son out right away

sosojenn
by on Jul. 12, 2007 at 4:24 PM
I worked in daycare for MANY years before I had my daughter.
You should definitely start thinking about taking your daughter elsewhere.
Either the teacher is new or that place just does not follow code.
I understand the crying thing...sometimes the kids get really bad and we sit them down to cry it out if they aren't hurt....cuz sometimes toddlers just need to vent it out. Instead of walking to your daughter and trying to pretend like I was doing it the whole time I would've told you why she was sitting there.

But anyways.....doesn't seem like a safe environment....if it's just the teacher....she only gets talked to a few times by the supervisor before they will fire her so you can stick around (if you have to) and see if it gets better....

Right now I have my daughter in a home daycare.....and the only reason she is there is because the teacher is my father's cousin and I feel safe with her there.

Otherwise she would be in a public daycare....you just gotta find the right one.
Home daycares can be just as bad if not worse....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)