Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Am I being selfish?

Posted by on Jul. 13, 2007 at 12:24 AM
  • 2 Replies

My ex is working a second job and not filling it for child support. I'm afraid if I file for more support, he'll just quit this job for a few months until it goes to court, then start working again.
Also, does anyone know the laws him getting a bonus. I know, he'll be getting on sometime this month, in about a week or two. Doesn't child support also come out of this?
My thought was to try to wait until the end of the year and file for more child support, using his income tax return - which would include both jobs and bonuses. But then, can he come back and still quite this second job and or claim that he may not get the bonuses in the next year?
I'm struggling with three kids. He's out taking trip and leave of absents from work for two weeks at a time. Must be nice....
What would be the best way to handle this legaly?

Our last court date for child support was in 2002. It's been five years, sense an increase has been made. I do know, some that take their ex back every year, just because they got yearly raise in pay. So, I don't feel like I'm hounding him for every dime.

No, I don't have a job, I have a career! I'm an educated women and exept my jerk of an ex husband to help support his children. IS that too much to ask?

It's okay for him to live "high on the hog" while his kids and I stuggle every month. I don't feel like I'm taking him for everything he has, but shouldn't he be obligated to pay, whatever the law, says he should pay? Yes, he goes to concert and such, but I'd rather have my kids have a saving accout and at least get a change at going to college someday. Okay, so maybe we're not living penny to penny, my kids do have saving acounts, but shouldn't the father be more responsable, too. I know, he's of his own free will - and he does not have to contribute. BUT I believe he should pay what the law entitles him to pay. Why let him run free?

by on Jul. 13, 2007 at 12:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
chel1023
by on Jul. 13, 2007 at 9:09 AM
Your not being selfish at all.  If he helped make the babies then he should help raise the babies, and that includes financially too!  If he is making a subtaintial amount of money more than he was when the child suport was put into place then you can take him back to Court and reevalulate it.  And as far as the bonuses go, if it is something that he gets regularly then that can be something that the Courts will look at.  Take him back to Court, people need to start taking responsibility for their actions and stop relying on others to pick up the slack.  You have three kids with him, he needs to be responsible for them too. 
jamie54911
by on Jul. 13, 2007 at 11:11 AM
I agree with the other person. It's his kids too, you didn't make them by yourself. And, your not sueing him for everything, and if you haven't been to court in 5 years, it's definately time to go back. Does he get visitation? I am a single mom to a two year old son, and his father isn't around. He has visitation, but choses not to use it. I only get $167.00 every three months from him. It's not even worth it. But, I am afraid that if I go back to court, I'll have to let him see Owen. (Our son). The laws here may be different then where you are, but from my understanding, the state of WI takes the guys back to court every 3 years to redo the support and or visitation. So, I will be going back to court soon, but not by choice. If you want to get some more money for college funds, or savings accounts for your children, take it in your own hands and do it. Good Luck.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN