Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

i don't have a lawyer and he does....

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2007 at 10:22 AM
  • 1 Replies

i have my scheduled court date for tomorrow for the custody and support case for my daughter. this really is the most nerve wracking time of my life. her father is a piece of garbage who has seen her only about 10 times since she has been born a lil over 6 months ago. hes verbally abusive to me, a liar, and just not responsible. etc

so anyway to make this short i really have no idea what goes on at court for these things, he had our first date adjourned so that he could have a lawyer i dont have one so i know the judge said one will be appointed to me.

just curious for someone who has already been through this. do you think this is a stupid decision on my oart, not that i decided to not have a lawyer but my $0.00 bank account did. im really struggling. and do you know the appointed lawyer will i have some time to speak to them before hand. and do you know of any good websites where i could find out some info on things pertaining to this???

thank you mamas!!!!!

by on Aug. 7, 2007 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
psalmssong
by on Aug. 7, 2007 at 10:36 AM

In my experience the appointed lawyers have very little time for you before court, but they are an asset. It would be a lot easier if you could afford a lawyer, but it's not imposible. In my state the children also get their own lawyer. It's important that you know in your mind that you'll need to comprimise. Keep in mind what you are and are not willing to comprimise. The judge will look more favorable on you if he knows your willing to work something out, but not that your wishy washy.

Remember to document everything. A journal is best. Write down everything as it happens ot has happened. Any proof you can get to substantiate your claim that he is verbally abusive, etc. Remeber it's your word against his unless you can prove it. And trust that he will not go in there and say I'm a big jerk that doesn't deserve to be around my kids,lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN