Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

What do you live in?

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2007 at 3:43 PM
  • 11 Replies

Poll

Question: What do you live in?

Options:

House

Apartment

Condo

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 56

View Results

I'm not a single mom yet, but will be eventually.... I'm just trying to see what might work out for me and my kids. I'm currently living in a house that my husband and I own, but once everything is finalized with him we'll sell the house. So I'm looking into maybe renting an apartment or buying a condo. I think I'm leaning towards a condo since it'll be mine and I can personalize it more so than with an apartment... I've actually found some in my area where the mortgage payments are reasonable and are actually similar to rent for an apartment. So I just wanna see what everyone else's living arrangements are, thanks!

Want a little? Place an order!
Want a lot? Host a Show and earn FREE jewelry!
Want it all? Become an Advisor like me!

liasophiact@yahoo.com
www.liasophia.com

~Cathy~

by on Aug. 10, 2007 at 3:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sosojenn
by on Aug. 10, 2007 at 4:08 PM
If you have the opportunity, you should definitely BUY instead of RENT. It's a much better investment for your future because you can build equity on it.
Right now I'm living with my parents in their house but when I move out I plan on buying a condo (might rent for a while to save up some money first).

beingmommy
by on Aug. 10, 2007 at 6:39 PM
I bought my first house 2 years ago. Before that I rented a townhouse for my son and I.
Marcia01
by on Aug. 10, 2007 at 6:51 PM
Right now I live in a house.  In a few years it will be to big, it's a 4 bdrm, 2 bath raised cape on almost an acre of land.  I will prpbably move into a condo, It will be smaller  and i will not have to worry about snow removal or yard work.
Pilar22
by on Aug. 10, 2007 at 9:29 PM
I absolutely agree with the previous comment. Its not always possible to buy, obviously, but if you can, it is a great investment!
QueenAhmoseII
by on Aug. 10, 2007 at 9:51 PM
I live in my parents' house. I don't want to stay here forever, but my credit is nonexistant and I've never been able to keep a job longer than 3 mos because I just seem to rub employers the wrong way after a while. Sooo...I'm hoping things will pan out with SSI since I'll never see a dime of child support from KaRe's worthless father.

I'd love to rent-to-own though!
caseynicole88
by on Aug. 10, 2007 at 10:50 PM
Im only pregnant right now and live in a house with my sister but in two weeks im moving and will be living in a basement until i can get on HUD which probably wont accept me until after my baby is born..Ive been in this basement many times and its really comfortable..like my own little apartment minus the kitchen..
gypsy_rose
by on Aug. 11, 2007 at 1:24 AM
I live if a house with my parents
Fragyl
by on Aug. 15, 2007 at 12:52 AM
I had to live with my parents a couple of years first.  To sort out legal things and save up.  I was going to rent this nice 2 bedroom apartment that cost about 800$ a month, but that included water, electricity and it had a gym, a movie theatre and a pool. 
Fortunately for me, my Mom had me house hunting the same time I was apartment hunting.  We ended up finding this great house 3 br, 2b, garage and nice big fenced in yard.  I pay 900$ for the mortgage, all taxes, electricity and water and lawn upkeep.  It's in a great neighborhood, it's 7 minutes away from my folks AND it is within walking distance of elementary, middle and high school.  You got to jump on these opportunities fast, though.  My home had gone up for sale on a Wednesday.  By Friday there were already 10 offers (enough for the owners to close out any more offers), and the decision was made on a Saturday.  After inspections and legal paperwork and money passed over it only took 2 weeks to own the house. I had actually offered less than all 9 other offers.  But, I spoke to the owners and told them about myself and how this was going to be a home for me, not just a house.  It seemed to impress them, because now I own my home and there is no better secure feeling.

Blessed Be!

http://lilypie.com"> src="http://by.lilypie.com/3P8Lm4.png" alt="Lilypie 6th to

handmaiden
by on Aug. 15, 2007 at 1:15 AM
 My 24 yr old daughter and I live in a dumb extended stay hotel which is really expensive,but at the time we really had no other choice.Now I feel like we are stuck here  with no where to go. I don't even have the money  for next weeks room rent ($190).We have no family nearby.Only cousins far away.No friends willing to take us in I don't think. Probably our only choice is an unsafe shelter in downtown Ft.Worth,Texas. We live in North Richland Hills,Texas. It is in the midcities in between Ft.Worth and Dallas.If I had to do that I would probably lose the only job between us right now. My daughter lost her job 4 weeks ago.We have had no car for about a year now.PLEASE PRAY FOR US.If you need any info or anything you can PM us.

God Bless You,
                                            Marsha Patrick

MOM OF 3 AWESOME!!! KIDS!!!
jen_keiko
by on Aug. 15, 2007 at 4:26 AM
We still live with my mom and my brother in a townhouse.  (My mom said that I can live at home until I get married...hehe and since I haven't... =P)  I do want to move out w/my daughter after I graduate from college, but because we live in Hawai'i it's next to impossible to buy unless you have a two income family...grrr.  The price of living in "paradise" I guess.  My credit is also less than great...okay, it sucks.  I do enjoy living with "grandma" and "uncle" though!  =P
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN