Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

7 year old daughter still sleeps in my bed

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2007 at 12:26 PM
  • 8 Replies
Can anyone give suggestions to get a 7 year old second grader out of your bed. I know of course I should have never started but now that the damage is done, is there anyone who had any realistic suggestions that worked???/
by on Aug. 13, 2007 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Singlemomks
by on Aug. 13, 2007 at 1:34 PM
I wish I had the answer - my 7 year old still climbs into my bed as well.  I can't wait to see the responses on this - maybe they will help me too!  Good luck, sorry I can't help!
beingmommy
by on Aug. 13, 2007 at 6:21 PM
As hard as it can be...tough love is the answer. I had to break my son of that habit and it was really hard! It was a lot like having a baby again in the sense that I had to listen to him scream his head off for a few nights. I've had to booby trap my door so if he opens it to come get in my bed then I wake up and can go put him back in his bed. (I hung things on the door that made a lot of noise when it opened) lol It took time and patience and unfortunately a lot of arguing but it took less than a week all together and we stuck to it for 3 years now. He's 9. Good luck to you!
2rugrats
by on Aug. 21, 2007 at 12:20 AM
well to be quite truthfull there is no one answer. my son is 13 and still i occassionally wake up with him next to me in my bed. lol. mamas boy. i made him that way though. my 3 year old too. however, it took a long time to get my son in his own room. i actually promised him if you stay in your room a entire week i will take you swimming or to the park or something of that nature. stay away from making offers that will cost you money because one day you won't be able to keep your promise and well you know what happens then. well good luck and keep us updated.
2rugrats
by on Aug. 21, 2007 at 12:22 AM
oh and don't forget stick to your guns. if you give in once you'll be back to square one again.
Lillies_mommy
by on Aug. 21, 2007 at 12:33 AM
Well I watch Super Nanny a lot and I have to say her tricks work... Ive tryed them while babysittin and such... what you do is

Step One: put her into her OWN bed read her a book... give her a kiss
Step Two: If she gets up... Tell her "its time for bed" and put her back to bed
Step Three: if she gets up agian... say "bed time" and put her back to bed
Step Four: Gets up again say NOTHING and put her back to bed
REPEAT FOUR until she stays there...

It may take a while but it works... GOOD LUCK
Luvmylilriley
by on Aug. 21, 2007 at 2:14 AM

Quoting Lillies_mommy:

Well I watch Super Nanny a lot and I have to say her tricks work... Ive tryed them while babysittin and such... what you do is

Step One: put her into her OWN bed read her a book... give her a kiss
Step Two: If she gets up... Tell her "its time for bed" and put her back to bed
Step Three: if she gets up agian... say "bed time" and put her back to bed
Step Four: Gets up again say NOTHING and put her back to bed
REPEAT FOUR until she stays there...

It may take a while but it works... GOOD LUCK
lol i watched that episode too! sounds like a good idea!

https://www.babiesonline.com/babies/l/luvmylilriley/

itstrinket
by on Aug. 21, 2007 at 2:15 AM
Wish I could help, but my 5 year old still sleeps with me.

Blessed2Bmum
by on Aug. 21, 2007 at 3:14 AM
Try setting up a reward system. Start off slow, leave a night light and maybe her door and your door open. A reward might be a point (I do points with my daughter). If she get's 5 (which is hopefully the whole week) she can get to go to the store and maybe buy a $5-$10 gift. Or you can work it around that best fits you two, but something to try. First of all they want to know they are safe, and can fall asleep without being scared at night. The first couple of nights she might crawl out in the middle of the night but after a while she will get used to it. Happy sleeping!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN