Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddler hitting

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2007 at 1:27 AM
  • 4 Replies
My 2 1/2 year old daughter has started hitting when she doesn't get her way.  So far the only people she hits are me and her younger sister.  I can't figure out how to stop her.  I have tried talking, yelling, and timeouts, but nothing works.  My soon to be ex thinks we should spank her, but that will just make it worse.  Any advice?
by on Sep. 7, 2007 at 1:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Alliem
by on Sep. 7, 2007 at 1:35 AM
Well, I may not have had my baby yet, but I am a nanny.  All I can really say is consistency.  Repeat what you believe is the right way to discipline her over and over again.  Doing it a few times or even a few weeks may not be enough.  It may take a while, but if she knows it's wrong and knows the consequences, eventually she'll stop or not do it as much.  Keep at it hon!!

LuLuThatsWho
by on Sep. 7, 2007 at 2:03 AM
I don't think a spanking is a good way to teach a child that hitting is bad.  It seems a little bit contradictory to me.  I agree with the previous post... consistency is always key when it comes to punishment.  Good luck!  I hope you find something that works.  If you don't, it is just a matter of time before little sis (or another child) hits back... That might make her think twice!  I know that's when my brother quit hitting... He never expected little ol me to pop him in the nose!  But he was nice to me afterward!
purtypanda
by on Sep. 7, 2007 at 4:05 AM
at 21/2 they cant reason,  they can't find an alternative so the ''NO" just doesnt' cut it and they just repeat it back to you!! i spanked my toddler starting at 18 mos. lightly  on his hands of course, but by 3 he was gettin a good pop on the boody!! that is the time to nip it in the bud or boody!!  you can't take away toys yet because they can't  understand that. poppin the butt is the only way to go! Im sick of this 'no spanking or we go to jail policy' thats a bunch of crap!!  my son is 5 and now he gets a choice (because he can differentiate between the two) does he want a spanking or does he want his 30 min of tv or game time taken away. he cries and screams..but ultimately its his choice. if he reaaaalllly wants to watch tv he says..''it hurts only a secon for that spankin'' but he thinks it hurts a lot worse to lose his tv time. but he always makes the decision and depending on the type of behaviour or tantrum at walmart over a toy..he get s a pop per minute he contiunues his behavior. it usually stops after about 2!! stay strong honey!! find what works and use it till they are married!! lol
purtypanda
by on Sep. 7, 2007 at 4:10 AM

tell her why she is getting a spankin!! never pop her without telling her why. my son was a hitter  and a cheek biter! that was enough to drive me mad! so just wanted to add that to my last post!! they do figure it our after the second time then its just determination!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)