Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

working moms?

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2007 at 9:23 PM
  • 2 Replies

Hey ladies.  So I don't know what to do.  I just recently got a new job (FINALLY!) & I'm so pleased about it!!  I start tomorrow in fact!  But the thing is, I got another call for another job today which I could do a night shift PT position.  Do you think that's a bad idea?  I really want to work 2 jobs so we are able to make ends meet & such, but I do not want to be away from my son for that much time.  Especially in his first few years.  I'm completely torn.  What do you ladies think?  Do you think being away from your baby that much does harm such as them not listening later down the line?  Does it take away from bonding time?  We could make it with my one job, we'd be scrapping, but we'd be okay.  Just having that 2nd one with the extra money would be nice...

by on Sep. 18, 2007 at 9:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
cgarlic
by on Sep. 18, 2007 at 10:24 PM
Trust me its hard...my daughter is 3 and I've been either a full time student & part time worker or vise versa.  Its hard because until recently she was with my mom ALL the time.  It really hit me hard when she would want my mom over me... I truely felt unwanted.  Sometimes I had to be gone 12+ hrs. a day.  I'm currently working full time and am a part time student, but now she goes to the preschool I work at so even though Im not in her class I see her during the day.  I can truely tell you I think its better to do more when your child is younger and doesn't really understand the concept of time.  Your not just leaving him/her to go party, your during it to make your lives better in the long run.  I did get my Associates in June of this year and took the summer off (work/school) to spend time with her ( even though we didnt have tons of extra money we still had fun).  If you need anyone to talk to Im here.  Good luck!
dizzymortal
by on Sep. 18, 2007 at 10:53 PM
I am there too. I am a full time student with a  part time job. I wish I could give you a clear answer, but it is really not that simple. If you still get to spend quality time with your son and take advantage of the small amount of time you have, then it will be okay. A child learns trust in the first few years of their life, so as long as his needs are being met and he knows that you will do anything for him when he needs it, he should turn out as good as he should. Maybe try the one job for a little while and then add on the PT after you see how he does adjusting to you working.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)