Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

New Here Need Some Advice

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2007 at 1:37 PM
  • 7 Replies
 Hey ladies,
   Ok I'm currently going through a divorce right now with my children's spermdonor. WE pretty much have everything settled except for the child support payments.  The big issue is that he is trying to find every deduction he can to take away from child support. He's taken out travel expenses and a whole bunch of other stuff. Can he do this. I mean what if he doesnt travel to see them. And this year and next he will be in Iraq. He's an E4 stationed At Fort Stewart. Now we are fighting about the kids being beneficiaries on his life insurance policy and wants to take out another $29 to put them in there.  Do you guys have any suggestions on what to do. If I should fight to get them on the life insurance without him taking away that $29 extra.  I feel deductions shouldn't bee taken out. What do you guys think??
by on Sep. 23, 2007 at 1:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Cassavtrin
by on Sep. 23, 2007 at 1:42 PM
Wow, Im sorry ....but....what a jerk....does he not realize that he is taking money away from his children when he does that? I dont know what state you live in, but that doesnt even sound feasible...I only say this because my ex was ordered to obtain a $100,000 insurance policy with the beneficiaries to be the children we have together (we have two). He was also ordered to pay half of any daycare expenses I have so that I can continue to work full time, medical, dental insurance, 1/2 of all non covered medical and dental expenses, and 1/2 of school registration and school supply fees ....
Basically, he wasnt allowed to deduct ANYTHING......Id talk to my attorney if I were you......hope things get better soon!
Maria
joshsmommy1706
by on Sep. 23, 2007 at 1:48 PM
Honey hes a sorry excuse for a soldier...and he cant take out deductions so dont agree to anything...tell him hes just being a cheap SOB.  DO NOT AGREE to anything with him in writing until you talk it over with your laywer...child support is based off of what you and he make and the health insurance and daycare costs you pay out...that is it.  And it sounds like he is not going to see them for 2 years anyway so get in there with your lawyer and settle this before they ship him off.

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

kristentaylor22
by on Sep. 23, 2007 at 2:04 PM
I live in New Mexico at the moment. He leaves in 4 weeks!! Just found out.  And now he's trying to file for bankruptcy which I believe is hard to do when you are going through a divorce and yet he told me him and his girlfriend who is in the same unit as him and living in our house back in Georgia (who happened to move in the week I left) want to buy a New Altima Coupe for her when they get back. I just told him good luck and that they make child support payments a first priority and he would still have to pay them even if he filed. Am I correct? His lawyer sent in a paper for my ex finances to do the worksheet for child support and said that I made minimum wage when in fact I don't have a job at the moment.  I thinking about calling JAG tomorrow morning eventhough they aren't much help to me now that I'm seperated from my husband.
Jodi_A
by on Sep. 23, 2007 at 2:38 PM
I'm in Georgia and they just recently passed a new "law" that has a mathematical formula for determining child support.  We both filled out all of these forms detailing our income and expenses and it took forever and was stressful (I make 2x as much as he does and was concerned about not getting ANY).  Turns out in the end the "formula" figures out the percentage of total income that each parent makes, and then figures out the items that are for the child only (health insurance, child care, clothing, etc).  Totals that up, multiplies by the percentage and figures out pretty well how much child support is due.  My ex pays $662 a month, which is very nice.  He didn't get any "deductions", so I don't know what kind of rules your state has (you say he's in GA and you just left there, if you filed in GA then you should have this same protection...)  Get a lawyer.  I didn't, but had a very amicable divorce and my ex is mostly a decent guy...and his lawyer answered my questions.  I think I got lucky with that, but lawyers will take payments.  It's worth it.
kristentaylor22
by on Sep. 23, 2007 at 3:12 PM
Yeah I have a lawyer. All this happened on Friday at the end of the day so I'm just asking before I call in and talk to my lawyer on Monday.  I filed here in New Mexico so which I would think everything has to be done the ways of this state and not Georgia. I will ask that too. I cleared up the fact about not making the money he said I did.  His unit is very lenient. He won't get in trouble at all I'm sure.
kristentaylor22
by on Sep. 24, 2007 at 10:59 PM
Ok saw my lawyer today and asked him everything. My ex can't deduct anything and we will be asking the judge to have the kids as benficiaries. In a couple days I have to sign the final papers and then they are sent to the courts I guess. I'm so relieved. Thank you guys for all your advice and replies.
dragonflie
by on Sep. 25, 2007 at 8:13 AM
Good luck with everything.  I know its tough my divorce drug out for 1 1/2 years but I am in a much better place now and happy to put that all behind me.  There is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)