Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to Natural

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 8:50 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 337 Total Views
Hi all I'm just begging my offical journey to natural hair. I started 2 weeks ago. My hair haven't been relaxed/permed in 5 to 6 months.....my goal is to transition without the big chop. I've been reading forums like crazy, blogs for hours, youtube stalking and FB group joining, and, even created one for newbies who are just starting out....I have learned so much it almost overwheliming. Like what kind of hair I have. That one I'm still out on since my perm isn't all the way out.... going on childhood memories I remember my mama pressing my hair and always saying "chile your hair holds heat".... she said it so thick took 2hours frm wash to press.... so I'm guessing I'm a 3-4..... my 9yr old is a 4 to the highest degree... her hair reminds me of brillo pads crammed in a box. She last had a relaxer 18 months ago... she just recently askd to go natural all the way. She doesn't want her hair flat ironed or in braids. She has taken a liken to twist outs and flat twists.

I'm happy to have yet another natural hair forum where I can learn all I can, ask questions, be encouraged by other natural journey and share my own ups and downs and travel down this new and exciting path.
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Myboysmom08
by Bronze Member on Feb. 29, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Well, I would like to welcome you and tell you that as you know - you are surely "not alone'.  I too - did not want to do the "big chop" - so I transitioned - first by going to the Dominican's and still washing, setting, and blow drying - but that was expensive and frustrating too - cause my hair would not stay straight - and that HEAT - is destructive!!!  Then I did the Senagalese twists and kept them in for about six months (of course, re-touching and washing after 2.5 mos.) - after about a year of transitioning I was ready to take twists out and finally embrace what I had.  I had about 6 - 8 inches (maybe 10 stretched out) of new growth and was able to slowly clip off the relaxed ends - btw - I did that myself.  Once I took out the twists - I felt soooo free!!!  I love my hair now - I do it all myself - I love washing my hair and feeling "my real" hair instead of that processed stuff.

I also - like you - have been reading, reading, reading - but I also have been trying alot of products too.  I like Carol's Daughter (caught a good Black Friday sale); Shea Moisture Products; Rosewater (healthfood store); olive oil; almond oil.  I still want to try Original Moxie Products and Tresemme has a Curly line I have heard good things about. 

So welcome ... don't be afraid to try new things - experiment, investigate, save $$$ - cause you are a "Natural Woman"!!!!

Be Encouraged!!!!!

0Kit0
by on Feb. 29, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Did you twist your own hair or did you add hair to it to twist, or idk. I'm just curious how it lasted so long.

Quoting Myboysmom08:

Well, I would like to welcome you and tell you that as you know - you are surely "not alone'.  I too - did not want to do the "big chop" - so I transitioned - first by going to the Dominican's and still washing, setting, and blow drying - but that was expensive and frustrating too - cause my hair would not stay straight - and that HEAT - is destructive!!!  Then I did the Senagalese twists and kept them in for about six months (of course, re-touching and washing after 2.5 mos.) - after about a year of transitioning I was ready to take twists out and finally embrace what I had.  I had about 6 - 8 inches (maybe 10 stretched out) of new growth and was able to slowly clip off the relaxed ends - btw - I did that myself.  Once I took out the twists - I felt soooo free!!!  I love my hair now - I do it all myself - I love washing my hair and feeling "my real" hair instead of that processed stuff.

I also - like you - have been reading, reading, reading - but I also have been trying alot of products too.  I like Carol's Daughter (caught a good Black Friday sale); Shea Moisture Products; Rosewater (healthfood store); olive oil; almond oil.  I still want to try Original Moxie Products and Tresemme has a Curly line I have heard good things about. 

So welcome ... don't be afraid to try new things - experiment, investigate, save $$$ - cause you are a "Natural Woman"!!!!

Be Encouraged!!!!!

meishag
by Member on Mar. 1, 2012 at 8:36 AM
Welcome!!
Myboysmom08
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Those twists - I had done first by Africans (in New York) and yes - I did add human wavy hair (this was my transitional style).  When I had it redone by another stylist in MD - the same thing - she used human hair to add - in. 

Now - I do twist-outs with my own hair and I generally re-twist everynite and detangle at least 2xs a week - I have been shampooing every other week - but I wet my hair daily.

If you are not ready to do your "big reveal" yet - try the senagalese twists - they're pricey - I paid $180 - but they are attractive and a nice transitional style.

keisha613
by Member on Mar. 11, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Welcome to the group.  You'll have to search far and wide for a woman who regrets going natural.  It's so freeing and nowadays you have a lot of support and tips from other natural women.

mamachickx4
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 10:26 PM

I must say since starting my journey, I have enjoyed cold rod setting my hair and having a head full of tight curls and going about my day. I stay glued to youtube learning. Any channels you guys recommend.

marlarrie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2012 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group! I transitioned too. I started my natural hair journey almost 3 yrs. ago. I'll never go back to relaxers.

marlarrie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Quoting mamachickx4:

I must say since starting my journey, I have enjoyed cold rod setting my hair and having a head full of tight curls and going about my day. I stay glued to youtube learning. Any channels you guys recommend.

I looooove Naptural85. She has what ppl call "unicorn" hair....lol the type of hair that always comes out perfect no matter what...lol. She's very articulate and informative.

mamachickx4
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I think im subscribed to her, but Im heading to youtube to make sure!

godsgirl26
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Welcome. As u can see I'm new to the group and also new to being natural. I'm hoping i can learn a lot from u and other's in this group.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)